This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Owner||The Local AB|
|Registration||Not required (paywall planned)|
The Local is an English-language digital news publisher with local editions in Sweden, Germany, France, Spain, Switzerland, Norway, Denmark, Austria and Italy. Each site, while alike in appearance, has separate editorial teams, each focused on its respective market.
Coverage is purely domestic in each country, and includes current events, politics, business, sports and culture, as well as analysis and opinion. The parent company The Local Europe AB also owns the largest English-language discussion forums in Germany (Toytown Germany) and Switzerland (English Forum).
The original Swedish edition began in 2004 as a weekly email newsletter. The German edition was launched in 2008 and Swiss edition in 2011. In 2013 the company opened offices in France, Spain and Italy. By January 2015 the company claimed to have over 4.5 million readers per month.
The Local's founders are Managing Director Paul Rapacioli, formerly a director of reed.co.uk and Managing Editor James Savage, formerly a radio journalist and PR consultant. Shareholders include the 6th AP Fund and IQUBE.
The Local's Swedish edition was nominated in 2009 as Swedish Digital Newspaper of the Year ('Årets Dagstidning Digitala Medier'), as part of media magazine Medievärlden's annual newspaper awards.
In early 2018, The Local reported its intention to create a paywall for much of its content.
- The Local:About us
- "Toytown Germany Imprint". Toytown Germany. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- Corporate site.
- Paying to Look Good at Work. BBC News. August 29, 2002
- Correspondent.[dead link] Global Radio News.
- Swedish minister opens Europe’s answer to AAAS. EuroScience Open Forum (ESOF) 2004.
- Vad vill utlänningar läsar om Sverige, The Local?. Medievärlden. February 2, 2009.
- De kan bli Årets Dagstidning Digitala Medier. Medievärlden. September 14, 2009.
- The Local - Europe's news in English
- The Local - France's news in English
- The Local - Germany's news in English
- The Local - Italy's news in English
- The Local - Norway's news in English
- The Local - Sweden's news in English
- The Local - Switzerland's news in English
- The Local - Austria's news in English
- The Local - Denmark's news in English
- The Local - Spain's news in English
- The Local - Czech news in English
- Toytown Germany
- English Forum