The Lanesborough from Hyde Park Corner
|Location||Hyde Park Corner, Knightsbridge, London, UK|
|Number of rooms||93 priced from £790|
|Number of suites||43 priced from £1,500|
|Number of restaurants||1|
|Parking||Available on site for a fee|
The Lanesborough is a 5-star hotel on Hyde Park Corner in Knightsbridge, central London, England. The hotel is operated by the Oetker Collection. It is in neoclassical style and is listed Grade II*.
St George's Hospital was opened in the original Lanesborough House in 1733. By the 1800s the hospital was falling into disrepair. Lanesborough House was demolished to make way for a new 350-bed facility. Building began in 1827 under architect William Wilkins. The new hospital was operational by 1844, serving continuously as a hospital until transferred to Tooting, south London in the 1970s, leaving the Hyde Park Corner premises vacant in 1980. The Duke of Westminster took up an option to buy the building for £6,000 (its value in the nineteenth century).
Rosewood Hotels & Resorts refurbished and re-opened the building as a hotel in 1991. Furniture was supplied by Arthur Brett and Sons. Ten years later the management contract passed to Starwood's St Regis operation, as its first and only hotel in England. Since November 2014 it is managed by the Oetker Collection.
In 2009, The Lanesborough announced the launch of ‘Apsleys – a Heinz Beck Restaurant’. Chef Heinz Beck was the winner of three Michelin stars for his cuisine at La Pergola in Rome, Italy. ‘Apsleys – a Heinz Beck Restaurant’ began service on 7 September 2009, and was awarded its first Michelin star on 20 January 2010. This is the current fastest time for a new London restaurant to get one, in less than 5 months. The dining room was subsequently rebranded as Céleste, and was again awarded a Michelin star.
- "The Lanesborough (hotel review)". The Diplomat.
- "Designs for St George's Hospital, Hyde Park Corner, London: elevation of entablature and capital with profiles of the cornice". RIBA. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "World's most expensive hotel put up for sale". The Independent. 2001.
- "Oetker Collection takes on management of the Lanesborough hotel". The Caterer. 12 November 2014. Retrieved 16 April 2018.
- "New Openings: Céleste". The Daily Telegraph. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "The-Lanesborough-Londons-most-expensive-hotel/". The Daily Telegraph. 31 July 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Michelin® Guide third-star-awarded-to-la-pergola".
- "Apsleys restaurant wins Michelin star". Archived from the original on 11 February 2010. Retrieved 24 December 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Lanesborough.|