|Edited by||Vinayak Chaturvedi|
|The Far Eastern Quarterly|
|ISO 4||J. Asian Stud.|
The Journal of Asian Studies is a quarterly peer-reviewed academic journal published by Cambridge University Press on behalf of the Association for Asian Studies, covering Asian studies, ranging from history, the arts, social sciences, to philosophy and cultural studies of East, South, Inner, and Southeast Asia. In addition to research, current interest, and state-of-the-field articles, a large section of the journal is devoted to book reviews. The journal was established in 1941 as The Far Eastern Quarterly, changing to its current title in September 1956.
The following persons are or have been editor-in-chief of the journal:
- Donald Shively (1956–1959)
- Roger F. Hackett (1959–1962, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor)
- David D. Buck (1990–1994, University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee)
- Anand A. Yang (1995–2000, University of Utah)
- Ann Waltner (2001–2004, University of Minnesota)
- Kenneth M. George (2005–2008, University of Wisconsin–Madison)
- Jeffrey Wasserstrom (2008–2018, University of California-Irvine)
- Vinayak Chaturvedi (2018–present, University of California-Irvine)
Bibliography of Asian Studies
From 1941 to 1991, the Association for Asian Studies published an annual Bibliography of Asian Studies as a supplement to the journal. Since 1991 the bibliography has only been available by separate subscription.
Abstracting and indexing
The journal is abstracted and indexed in the Arts and Humanities Citation Index, Social Sciences Citation Index, and Scopus. According to the Journal Citation Reports, the journal has a 2017 impact factor of 0.917.
- "Journal of Asian Studies". Cambridge University Press.
- Maclay, Kathleen. "Professor emeritus Donald Shively, expert on Japanese life and cultures, dies," UCBerkeley News, August 17, 2005.
- Roger F. Hackett, Faculty History Project, University of Michigan. (Accessed April 22, 2015).
- "The Journal of Asian Studies". 2017 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Clarivate Analytics. 2018.