|Type||Biweekly political newspaper|
|Owner(s)||Neri & Associates|
NeriVerbanac Public Affairs (former)
|Editor-in-chief||Albert J. Neri|
John Verbanac (former)
The Insider was a subscription-based newsletter reporting on Pennsylvania politics.
It was once described as the "state’s most widely read newsletter devoted to state politics and government." With an audience of both the "hard-core state political junkie and the casual political observer," The Insider featured interviews with state politicians and political analysis for activities at the Pennsylvania State Capitol. It has been called a "biweekly guide to the capital's back room deals" and "a twice-monthly political capsule"  by the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The Insider was developed in 2002 by the late Al Neri, a veteran political commentator with over 20 years of political experience, and political operative John Verbanac, a protegee of Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum Within a short period of time, the Insider became the largest statewide political publication. Verbanac and Neri parted ways amicably in 2005 and The Insider was incorporated into the GovNetPA system. The editorial opinions expressed in The Insider were exclusively of Neri, unless the article carries a different by-line. Other individuals occasionally publish material in The Insider, including David Buffington, who is best known as the former editor of the Pennsylvania Report, a publication similar to The Insider.
- "Principal". Envoi Communications. ENVOI Communications. 2007.[permanent dead link]
- "About The Insider". The Insider. Neri & Associates. Archived from the original on 2008-09-05.
- Lord, Rich (2006-05-27). "Political consultant at center of dispute over picking casino". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. PG Publishing Co., Inc.
The Insider, a biweekly guide to the capital's back room deals.
- Toland, Bill (2006-10-17). "Casey bests Santorum for 1st time in raising of money". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. PG Publishing Co., Inc.
...who authors a twice-monthly political capsule called The Insider.
- "Notes from the (2010) campaign trail". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. PG Publishing Co., Inc. 2006-11-30.
- "The (2010) campaign trail". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. PG Publishing Co., Inc. 2006-11-14.
- Fitzpatrick, Dan (August 13, 2006). "Mayor O'Connor has business friends who wield clout". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. PG Publishing Co., Inc.
- "Subscribe Today!". The Insider. Neri & Associates. Archived from the original on 2008-07-04. Retrieved 2009-07-22.
- Neri, Al (2006-05-27). "Editor's Message". The Insider.
- Harvith, John (July 9, 2007). "John Verbanac Appointed Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Trustee on Pitt's Board of Trustees". Pitt Chronicle. University of Pittsburgh.
- "GovNetPA Acquires Capitolwire from AP; Pete DeCoursey and Al Neri to Join Staff" (Press release). GovNetPA, Inc. 2005-04-06.
- Neri, Al (January 2009). "INSIDER INFO -- JANUARY 2009". The Insider. Archived from the original on 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2009-07-26.
The views contained in The Insider are those exclusively of its editor, Al Neri, unless an article is specifically authored by another writer.
- "Editor's Message". The Insider. Neri & A.[permanent dead link]