The Inheritance is a play by Matthew Lopez that is inspired by the novel Howards End by E. M. Forster. The play premiered in London at the Young Vic in March 2018. Its success led to a production on Broadway.
Original London production
The play was commissioned by Hartford Stage in Hartford, Connecticut. The play was produced in London at the Young Vic Theatre under the direction of Stephen Daldry in March 2018. The play was staged in two parts of over three hours each, intended to be viewed sequentially. It examines love between gay men in contemporary New York a generation after the AIDS epidemic. It asks what the current generation owes to its forebears.
The Inheritance also won best new play, best director for Stephen Daldry and best actor for Kyle Soller at both the 2019 Critics' Circle Awards and the 2019 Laurence Olivier Awards, also winning an Olivier for Best Lighting for Jon Clark.
Original Broadway production
The play will premiere on Broadway at the Ethel Barrymore Theatre on 27 September 2019 in previews, with the official opening on 17 November. The production features Lois Smith as Margaret, with Kyle Soller and John Benjamin Hickey, among others, reprising their roles from the London production.
|Noel Coward Theatre
|Ethel Barrymore Theatre|
|Eric Glass||Kyle Soller|
|Toby Darling||Andrew Burnap|
|Adam / Leo||Samuel H. Levine|
|Walter/ Morgan||Paul Hilton|
|Henry Wilcox||John Benjamin Hickey|
|Jasper||Hugo Bolton||Kyle Harris|
|Toby's Agent||Robert Boulter||Jonathan Burke|
|Young Henry||Hubert Burton||Carson McCalley|
|Tristan||Syrus Lowe||Jordan Barbour|
|Jason 1||Michael Marcus||Darryl Gene Daughtry Jr.|
|Young Walter||Luke Thallon||Jack Riddiford||Dylan Frederick|
|Jason 2||Michael Walters||Arturo Luís Soria|
|Margaret||Vanessa Redgrave||Lois Smith|
The reviewer for The Telegraph called the play “perhaps the most important American play of this century.” 
The Variety reviewer wrote the play is a "...vast, imperfect and unwieldy masterpiece that unpicks queer politics and neoliberal economics anew. In addressing the debt gay men owe to their forebears, it dares to ask whether the past hasn’t also sold the present up short."
The Guardian reviewer wrote: "While Lopez’s play has a literary framework, it teems with life and incident...Lopez is also unafraid to periodically stop the plot and clear the stage for an impassioned debate: one of the most intense is about the status of gay culture which, having fought so long against oppression, now finds itself in danger of being co-opted."
Awards and nominations
|Laurence Olivier Awards||Best New Play||Won|
|Best Actor||Kyle Soller||Won|
|Best Actress in a Supporting Role||Vanessa Redgrave||Nominated|
|Best Director||Stephen Daldry||Won|
|Best Set Design||Bob Crowley||Nominated|
|Best Lighting Design||Jon Clark||Won|
|Best Sound Design||Paul Arditti and Christopher Reid||Nominated|
|Outstanding Achievement in Music||Paul Englishby||Nominated|
- Serratore, Nicole. ""A Gay 'Inheritance' That's Generations in the Making"". www.americantheatre.org. Retrieved 3 August 2019.
- Trueman, Matt (2018-03-29). "London Theater Review: 'The Inheritance'". Variety. Retrieved 2019-04-21.
- Collins-Hughes, Laura; Deb, Sopan; Trueman, Matt (2018-02-20). "3 Young People to Watch in Theater This Spring". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2018-03-24.
- "The Inheritance (West End)". Young Vic. Retrieved July 16, 2018.
- Thompson, Jessie (2018-11-19). "Evening Standard Theatre Awards 2018 - The Winners". Standard. Retrieved 2018-11-19.
- Wiegand, Chris (2019-01-29). "The Inheritance wins best new play at UK Critics' Circle awards". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 2019-01-30.
- McPhee, Ryan. "Two-Part, Gay-Themed 'The Inheritanc'e Will Play Broadway" Playbill, June 6, 2019
- Hetrick, Adam. "Kyle Soller and John Benjamin Hickey to Reprise Performances in The Inheritance on Broadway; Full Cast Set" Playbill, August 15, 2019
- Cavendish, Dominic. " 'The Inheritance', Young Vic review: perhaps the most important American play of the century so far" The Telegraph, 29 March 2018
- Billington, Michael." 'The Inheritance review' – Angels in America meets Howards End The Guardiaan, 28 March 2018
- McPhee, Ryan (2019-03-05). "2019 Olivier Award Nominations: London's Company and Come From Away Lead the Pack". Playbill. Retrieved 2019-03-06.