|The Improper Duchess|
|Directed by||Harry Hughes|
|Produced by||Maurice Browne|
|Written by||James B. Fagan (play) |
|Starring||Yvonne Arnaud |
|Music by||Eric Spear|
|Edited by||Ted Richards|
City Film Corporation
|Distributed by||General Film Distributors|
|17 January 1936|
The Improper Duchess is a 1936 British comedy film directed by Harry Hughes and starring Yvonne Arnaud, Hugh Wakefield and Wilfrid Caithness. The film is based on the 1931 play of the same name by J. B. Fagan in which Arnaud had starred.
It was shot at Elstree Studios. The film's sets were designed by the art director David Rawnsley. It was made by the independent City Film Corporation, and released by the newly-established General Film Distributors.
- Yvonne Arnaud as Duchess of Tann
- Hugh Wakefield as King of Poldavia
- Wilfrid Caithness as Reverend Adam McAdam
- Arthur Finn as Senator Corcoran
- Gerald Barry as Baron Kamp
- Finlay Currie as Milton Lee
- James Carew as Montgomery Curtis
- Annie Esmond as Baroness Kamp
- Felix Aylmer as Count Seidel
- Honorine Catto as Miss Cutting
- Andreas Malandrinos as Garcia
- Davis Smith-Dorrien as Captain Olven
- Cynthia Stock as Gunning
- Ben Welden as Macabe
- "The Improper Duchess (1936)". BFI.
- Wood p.86
- Low, Rachael. Filmmaking in 1930s Britain. George Allen & Unwin, 1985.
- Wood, Linda. British Films, 1927-1939. British Film Institute, 1986.