The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for web content. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Owner||One Point Nought|
|Created by||Tim Fountain, Alasdair Bailey, Richard Goodwin|
The Icon Bar was founded in 2000 by Tim Fountain, Alasdair Bailey and Richard Goodwin. In 2004, co-founder Richard Goodwin was nominated for the Drobe awards for keeping the "popular forum" online. It was further developed by the same people who developed Acorn Arcade, the contents of which were incorporated in 2006. At this time, it broadened its remit to also cover alternative platforms and new technologies, while still keeping abreast of the RISC OS scene.
When Drobe closed as a news site in 2009, The Icon Bar was cited as a notable alternative and took over running the annual awards scheme for the RISC OS scene. It has been selected for inclusion by editors in at least one web directory,
The site features RISC OS articles, news, forums and other media. It also hosts a Media Watch page, where users can share any relevant items they spot in the media.
- "About The Icon Bar". The Icon Bar. One Point Nought. Archived from the original on 2000-09-19. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
Tim Fountain Founder member and designer of TIB [...] Richard Goodwin Along with Tim, Rich is a founder member of The Icon Bar [...]
Johnson, Trevor (April 2011), "Meet Jeffrey Lee", Archive, Glastonbury: Abbey Press, pp. 14–18, OCLC 222434223,
The Icon Bar was started in 2000 as a spin-off to the (then popular) Acorn Arcade. [...] I think I only became properly involved with [The Icon Bar] sometime in 2006, when the Acorn Arcade content was merged in.
- Fountain, Tim. "Past projects". Personal website of Tim Fountain. Retrieved 2012-08-01.
- Williams, Chris (December 10, 2004). "Voting for Best of 2004 Awards open". Drobe. Retrieved April 10, 2012.
- "About The Icon Bar". The Icon Bar. One Point Nought. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
The Icon Bar [...] [s]tarted by the guys behind Acorn Arcade [...]
- The Icon Bar team (November 26, 2006). "Icon Bar and Acorn Arcade relaunch". The Icon Bar. Retrieved March 13, 2012.
- Camen, Kroc (2009-09-21). "Drobe Closes Its Doors After Ten Years". OSnews. OSNews. Retrieved 2011-05-16.
There are still a number of RISC OS related news sites, particularly notable iconbar.com [...]
- Camen, Kroc (2009-11-08). "What Is the Point of RISCOS Ltd?". OSnews. OSNews. Retrieved 2011-06-14.
[...] leading RISC OS news website - The Icon Bar [...]
- Lee, Jeffrey. "Nominations open for the
DrobeIcon Bar awards 2009". The Icon Bar. One Point Nought. Retrieved 2011-06-13.
For the past several years Drobe have run their yearly Drobe awards, in which members of the public nominate and vote for the RISC OS products and people who they believe have best served the platform over the course of the year. After a quick check with Drobe foreman Chris Williams to make sure he wasn't planning on running the awards this year, the staff at TIB decided it would be a good idea if we picked up the metaphorical torch and ran the awards ourselves.
- "What's New - All Sites Added 7/20/2009". Best of the Web. Best of the Web Directory. 2009-07-20. Retrieved 2011-06-04.
Icon Bar - RISC OS portal featuring news, discussions, polls, reviews, tutorials, and downloads.
- "Media Watch". The Icon Bar. One Point Nought. Retrieved January 9, 2012.
|This article about a computing website is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|