|We Don't Belong Here|
|Directed by||Peer Pedersen|
|Written by||Peer Pedersen|
|Music by||Michael Yezerski|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Entertainment|
We Don't Belong Here, previously entitled The Greens Are Gone, is an American drama film written and directed by Peer Pedersen. The film stars Catherine Keener, Kaitlyn Dever, Anton Yelchin, Riley Keough, Annie Starke, Cary Elwes and Maya Rudolph. The film was released on April 4, 2017, by Sony Pictures Entertainment.
Nancy Green is the mother of a dysfunctional family. She is pushed to her limits, after her son, Maxwell, disappears.
- Catherine Keener as Nancy Green, Madeline, Elisa, Lily and Maxwell’s mother
- Kaitlyn Dever as Lily Green, Nancy’s youngest daughter
- Anton Yelchin as Maxwell Green, Nancy’s son
- Riley Keough as Elisa Green, Nancy’s daughter
- Annie Starke as Madeline Green, Nancy’s oldest daughter
- Molly Shannon as Deborah
- Justin Chatwin as Tomas
- Austin Abrams as Davey
- Debra Mooney as Grandmother
- Maya Rudolph as Joanne
- Cary Elwes as Frank Harper
- Michelle Hurd as Tania
- Sarah Ramos as Jill
- Mark Famiglietti as Man at Track
On May 14, 2014, it was announced that Catherine Keener, Kiernan Shipka, Anton Yelchin, Riley Keough, Annie Starke, Cary Elwes and Lois Smith had joined the cast of the film, then titled The Greens Are Gone. Keener would play the mother of a dysfunctional family who is pushed to her limits after the disappearance of her son, played by Yelchin. Shipka would play her bipolar teenage daughter, while Keough and Starke would play the troubled grown daughters. Starke, Glenn Close's real-life daughter, made her acting debut in the film. Peer Pedersen would make his directorial debut on the film based on his own script, produced by Annelise Dekker, Adam Gibbs, Michael Kristoff and Roger Joseph Pugliese. On June 5, 2014, Kaitlyn Dever joined the film, replacing Shipka, to play the bipolar daughter. Later, on June 12, 2014, Elwes’s casting was confirmed by Deadline; he would play Frank, a local in the town. On June 13, 2014, Maya Rudolph was confirmed to be in the cast.
Principal photography on the film began on July 7, 2014 in Worcester, Massachusetts. The first day of filming took place at the historic Ralph's Chadwick Square Diner, where Kaitlyn's character sings a ‘70s hit song; the scene took up only three-and-a-half pages of the script. On July 8, 2014, filming was taken place in Norwood, where the crew used the Norwood Theatre office as the set for the film and converted it into the bookstore named "Harper Booksellers." Several shots were taken in and out of the store all day, which featured Dever, Elwes, Rudolph and Shannon, and the store was owned by Elwes's character. On July 10, 2014, filming took place in Wellesley, where they used the Elm Bank Reservation as the set for the film. Filming wrapped-up on July 24, 2014.
The film was released through video on demand, DVD and Blu-Ray on April 4, 2017. With its release delayed until long after filming had been completed in July 2014, the producers were able to dedicate the film to Yelchin, who died in June 2016.
- McNary, Dave (May 14, 2014). "Catherine Keener, Kiernan Shipka, Anton Yelchin Starring in 'The Greens Are Gone'". variety.com. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (June 5, 2014). "Kaitlyn Dever to Co-Star with Anton Yelchin in 'The Greens Are Gone'". variety.com. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- Mink, Sammy (June 13, 2014). ""The Greens Are Gone" for Maya Rudolph". Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- Yamato, Jen (June 12, 2014). "Greta Lee Joins Universal's 'The Nest'; Cary Elwes Cast In 'The Greens Are Gone'". deadline.com. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- "'The Greens Are Gone' filming underway in Worcester, MA". onlocationvacations.com. July 11, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- S. Semon, Craig (July 8, 2014). "Movie scene filmed at Ralph's Chadwick Square Diner in Worcester". telegram.com. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- Cole, Brad (July 11, 2014). "The Greens are Gone films at Norwood Theatre". wickedlocal.com. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- Brown, B (July 10, 2014). "Movie "The Greens are Gone" filming in Wellesley". theswellesleyreport.com. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- "On the Set for 7/28/14: 'Ted 2′ Starts for Universal Pictures, 'The Greens Are Gone' Wraps". ssninsider.com. July 28, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- "Michael Yezerski to Score 'The Greens Are Gone'". filmmusicreporter.com. April 20, 2015. Retrieved June 27, 2015.
- Murthi, Vikram (January 24, 2017). "'We Don't Belong Here' Exclusive Trailer: Anton Yelchin and Catherine Keener Star In Dysfunctional Family Thriller". Indiewire.com. Retrieved January 24, 2017.