|The Good Pope: Pope John XXIII|
|Written by||Fabrizio Bettelli|
|Directed by||Ricky Tognazzi|
|Country of origin||Italy|
|Running time||180 min.|
|Original network||Canale 5|
The Good Pope: Pope John XXIII (Italian: Il Papa Buono, also known with the shorten titles The Good Pope and The Good Pope: John XXIII) is a 2003 Italian television film written and directed by Ricky Tognazzi. The film is based on real life events of Pope John XXIII.
This article needs a plot summary. (July 2015)
It is about the life of Pope John XXIII Bob Hoskins stars as, Pope John XXIII, a man, humble origin who became one of the most influential Popes of the last century. Born Angelo Roncalli, in Sotto Il Monte in 1881, he was known for his profound spirituality as well as his extraordinary goodness from a young age. He was a farmer's son who influenced the world politics of the time; a man of modest character who revolutionised the church. He was pope during the most extraordinary chapter in history: the Cold War, the Berlin Wall, space travel, Vietnam and J.F.K.'s assassination. In his short time as pope, John XXIII touched the hearts of every creed and color. He was christened by the people as the 'good pope'. This story will help us understand why thousands flocked to Rome to join Pope John XXIII in his final hours and why millions around the world mourned his death.
- Bob Hoskins as Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli
- Carlo Cecchi as Cardinal Mattia Carcano
- Roberto Citran as Loris Capovilla
- Fabrizio Vidale as young Angelo Roncalli
- Chiara Caselli as Carla
- Arnoldo Foà as Card. Alfredo Ottaviani
- Ricky Tognazzi as Mons. Giacomo Radini-Tedeschi
- Ivo Garrani as Cardinal Carcano (Mattia Carcano's Uncle)
- Erland Josephson as Franz von Papen
- Sergio Bustric as Guido Gusso
- Francesco Venditti as Young Nicola Catania
- John Light as Young Mattia Carcano
- Rolando Ravello as Cannava
- Francesco Carnelutti as Old Nicola Catania
- Lena Lessing as Marta Von Papen
- Enzo Robutti as Angelo's Grandfather
- Sergio Perugini. Testimoni di fede, trionfatori di audience. Effata Editrice IT, 2011. ISBN 88-7402-732-X.
- Aldo Grasso (28 January 2003). ""Il Papa buono", storia fatta per commuovere". Corriere della Sera. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Silvia Fumarola (28 January 2003). "Bob Hoskins, il Papa che piace ai comunisti". La Repubblica. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- Perugini, S.; Viganò, D.E. (2011). Testimoni di fede, trionfatori di audience: La fiction religiosa italiana anni Novanta e Duemila: storie di santi, papi e preti esemplari. Itinerari mediali (in Italian). Effatà Editrice. p. 163. ISBN 978-88-7402-732-3. Retrieved 20 October 2018.
|This article related to an Italian film of the 2000s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article related to a made-for-TV drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Catholic Church–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|