This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Fisher Lane, Chiddingfold, Surrey, England|
Fisher Lane Farm is the main recording studio of the English progressive rock band Genesis. The studio is located in Chiddingfold, Surrey, England. Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks and Phil Collins have also recorded there as solo artists, or on side projects (e.g. Mike + The Mechanics), including ...But Seriously, the fourth solo studio album released by Collins, which reached the number one position all over the world. Genesis recorded every album since Abacab in this studio, including Genesis, Invisible Touch and We Can't Dance; all of them became the best-selling albums released by the band.
The farm was initially formed by a cowshed located beside a cottage, hence the full name "Fisher Lane Farm". It was remodelled into a studio in 1980, shortly before Genesis recorded their album Abacab. In 1984, a new control room was added to the building, leaving the original control room to be an editing room.
The cottage was sold to Genesis in 2000, and was retained as the band's main recording studio.
In March 2016, the studio filed for insolvency.
According to a 1981 report, the then-recently completed studio consisted of an Amek 36x24 M2000A console, Studer A80 24-track and 2-track tape machines, an EMT Echo Plate and a set of UREI monitors powered by Crown amplifiers. Mikes were by Shure, Beyerdynamic Neumann and PZM.
By September 1985, Genesis had selected and installed an SSL 4000E console at The Farm with 56 channels of Total Recall automation. Other installed items included the SSL Integral Synchronizer (to synchronize a pair of Studer A800 multitrack machines) and a Sony U-matic machine to use for post-production work on the band's videos.
- "Down the farm with Genesis guitarist Mike Rutherford". surreylife.co.uk. 2013-06-28. Retrieved 2016-08-30. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Trip to the Farm (Genesis Recording Studio)". theeviljam.co.uk. 2011-08-20. Retrieved 2016-08-30. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Notices to Creditors". thegazette.co.uk. 2016-03-23. Retrieved 2017-01-02. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Studio Update" (PDF). Recording Engineer/Producer. August 1981. p. 122. Retrieved April 10, 2021 – via worldradiohistory.com.
- "Diary: Contracts" (PDF). Studio Sound. September 1985. p. 30. Retrieved April 10, 2021 – via worldradiohistory.com.