|Type||Digital daily newspaper|
|Editor||Larry Ryckman and Dana Coffield|
|Headquarters||110 16th Street|
Denver, CO 80202
The Colorado Sun is an online news outlet based in Denver, Colorado. It launched on September 10, 2018, to provide long-form in depth coverage of news from all around Colorado. It was started with two years of funding from blockchain venture capitalists at Civil and from a Kickstarter campaign. The electronic newspaper is based in Denver but covers news from all of Colorado. Subscriptions also optionally include two newsletters, Daily Sun-Up and The Sunriser.
Eight former employees of The Denver Post started The Colorado Sun in response to multiple layoffs at the Denver Post after the Post's acquisition by the private equity firm Alden Global Capital.
The Colorado Sun was initially started with a combination of financial and technical support from Civil, a blockchain platform for news organizations to independently found and run newsrooms, and from a Kickstarter campaign that more than doubled its initial goals. This combination provided The Colorado Sun with two years of initial funding, and a subsequent grant from Wend Ventures provided two years of funding for educational reporting. The newspaper does not accept advertising, and plans to be supported by subscriptions and donations after the initial funding runs out.
- Hutchins, Corey (July 18, 2018). "The Colorado Sun pits Civil-backed startup against The Denver Post". Columbia Journalism Review. Retrieved January 24, 2019.
Founding staff members own the company, an LLC.
- "Kickstarter: The Colorado Sun". Kickstarter. Retrieved January 24, 2019.
- "About Us". The Colorado Sun. Retrieved January 24, 2019.
The Colorado Sun is a journalist-owned, ad-free news outlet based in Denver but which strives to cover all of Colorado so that our state – our community – can better understand itself.
- Aiello, Chloe (June 16, 2018). "As hedge funds overtake media, the Denver Post leads a vocal revolt against 'vulture capitalists'". CNBC. Retrieved January 24, 2019.
The Post has cut its staff about 70 percent since Alden and its founder Randall Smith took control in 2011, according to data from the Denver Newspaper Guild.
- Markus, Ben (June 17, 2018). "The Colorado Sun to Launch with Former Denver Post 'A-Team' Stars and Tech Cash". CPR.org. Colorado Public Radio. Retrieved January 24, 2019.
- "A community-owned journalism network based on transparency and trust". Civil.co. Retrieved January 24, 2019.
- Coolidge, Matt (December 1, 2017). "What is Civil". Civil.co. Retrieved January 24, 2019.
- Ryckman, Larry (November 2, 2018). "Editor's note: The Colorado Sun is growing — with an eye on education". The Colorado Sun. Retrieved January 24, 2019.