|Directed by||Eric Armstrong|
|Produced by||Jacquie Barnbook|
|Written by||Jeff Wolverton|
|Music by||Chance Thomas|
|Edited by||Robert Gordon|
|Distributed by||Sony Pictures Releasing|
Meeper, the janitor of an alien pub called the Ale-E-Inn, has higher aspirations—a karaoke performer. After he accidentally electrocutes a singer, he is ejected from the pub. Outside, he is told by an incautious Gungan that "The ChubbChubbs are coming!" Meeper sees aircraft land in the distance, and huge, weapon-bearing monsters exit the craft. He assumes these are the ChubbChubbs.
Meeper rushes to warn the pub, and some chicks he finds pecking at the ground outside, but each of his attempts further injures the singer. Once the patrons are finally warned by a different visitor, the pub is promptly emptied due to said patrons taking off in panic, leaving Meeper behind during the process. When the monsters begin closing in to the pub, Meeper hides the chicks under his bucket in an attempt to save them. He then launches into a rendition of "Why Can't We Be Friends?" until, caught up in the song, he accidentally trips over the bucket, revealing the chicks. The monsters flee, screaming, "It's the ChubbChubbs!" The chicks reveal their razor sharp teeth and devour the monsters, who are actually known as Zyzaks. They gather around Meeper, who says, "So... You guys into karaoke?"
As the credits roll, Meeper and the ChubbChubbs sing a rewrite of Aretha Franklin's Respect in the pub. When the song is finished, there is dead silence. The ChubbChubbs glare and reveal their teeth, and the crowd hastily bursts into applause.
- Brad Simonsen as Meeper
- Jeff Wolverton as the ChubbChubbs
- Mortonette Jenkins as Singing Diva
- Peter Lurie as Zyzaks
- Rick Zieff as Bouncer
- Dustin Adair, Eric Armstrong, Yakov Baytler, Mary Biondo, Sumit Das, Layne Friedman, Robert Gordon, Sully Jacome-Wilkes, Franco Pietrantonio, Rick Richards, Chance Thomas, Julie Zackary as Glorfs
- Evan Wu as Various aliens
The short was "originally conceived as a pipeline test to help determine the studio’s strengths and weaknesses in producing all-CG animation within the Imageworks production environment."
The short got a DVD release on November 26, 2002 as a bonus feature also attached to Men in Black II. On April 11, 2003, the short was released on its own DVD, and with a running time of 5 minutes, 37 seconds is considered likely the briefest DVD ever released.The ChubbChubbs! and its sequel The ChubbChubbs Save Xmas were released on October 9, 2007, for the first time on Blu-ray, attached as a bonus to Surf's Up.
A feature-length animated film and a television series based on the short were in development in 2003 at Sony Pictures Animation. Dan Wilson and Dave Gilbreth had been hired to write the film's screenplay, but since then, there has been no further news about the projects.
- "The 75th Academy Awards". Oscars. March 23, 2003. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- Raugust, Karen (May 30, 2006). "The Value of Shorts". Animation World Network. Retrieved July 22, 2011.
- Gold, Noe (December 9, 2003). "The hubbub over 'ChubbChubbs'". Variety. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- Siechen, Todd (November 26, 2002). "Men in Black II". DVD Talk. Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- Kleinmann, Geoffrey (April 15, 2003). "The Chubbchubbs!". DVD Talk. Retrieved November 7, 2010.
- Short Film Oscar® Winners in 2003-Oscars on YouTube
- Sony Pictures Digital (May 9, 2003). "Sony Pictures Animation Announces Projects for Directors Jill Culton, Anthony Stacchi, Roger Allers, Brenda Chapman and the Brizzi Brothers" (Press release). PR Newswire. Retrieved August 26, 2012.
- Brodesser, Claude (October 22, 2003). "Short 'Chubbchubbs' is going long for Sony". Variety. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- "The ChubbChubbs are Back!". ComingSoon.net. August 6, 2007. Retrieved October 11, 2015.
- PIMPJOE_ESB (August 8, 2007). "Catch the ChubbChubbs Saving Xmas With "Daddy Day Camp"". CountingDown.com. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved November 10, 2010.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The ChubbChubbs!|