|The Captain Hates the Sea|
|Directed by||Lewis Milestone|
|Produced by||Lewis Milestone|
|Screenplay by||Wallace Smith|
|Based on||The Captain Hates the Sea|
by Wallace Smith
The Three Stooges
|Cinematography||Joseph H. August|
|Edited by||Gene Milford|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
(Sony Pictures Television Print)
The Captain Hates the Sea is a 1934 comedy film directed by Lewis Milestone and released by Columbia Pictures. The film, which involves a Grand Hotel-style series of intertwining stories involving the passengers on a cruise ship, is notable as the last feature film of silent film icon John Gilbert and the first Columbia feature to include The Three Stooges (Curly Howard, Moe Howard and Larry Fine) in the cast, cast as the ship's orchestra. The film also stars Victor McLaglen, Arthur Treacher, Akim Tamiroff, Leon Errol and Walter Connolly.
Alcoholic newspaperman Steve Bramley boards the ship San Capador for a restful cruise, hoping to quit drinking and begin writing a book. Also on board are Steve's friend Schulte, a private detective hoping to nab criminal Danny Checkett with a fortune in stolen bonds. Steve begins drinking, all the while observing the various stories of other passengers on board, several of whom turn out not to be who they seem to be.
- Victor McLaglen - Junius P. Schulte
- Wynne Gibson - Mrs. Jeddock
- Alison Skipworth - Mrs. Yolanda Magruder
- John Gilbert - Steve Bramley
- Helen Vinson - Janet Grayson
- Fred Keating - Danny Checkett
- Leon Errol - Layton
- Walter Connolly - Captain Helquist
- Tala Birell - Gerta Klangi
- Walter Catlett - Joe Silvers
- Donald Meek - Josephus Bushmills
During production, the film went over budget due in large part to the alcohol-fueled partying by Gilbert, McLaglen, Errol, Catlett and Connolly. Harry Cohn, the head of Columbia, became alarmed and sent a cable to Lewis Milestone that read: "Hurry up! The cost is staggering!" Milestone, in turn, sent a cable to Cohn that read: "So is the cast!"
- Variety film review; December 4, 1934, page 12.
- Harrison's Reports film review; December 1, 1934, page 191.
- New York Times review
- Film Threat review
- Medved, Harry & Michael. "The Hollywood Hall of Shame," Perigree Books, 1984. ISBN 0-399-50714-0
- Thomas, Bob, "King Cohn: The Life and Times of Harry Cohn," G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1967.
- Solomon, Jon (2000). The Complete Three Stooges: The Official Filmography and Three Stooges Companion. Glendale, California: Comedy III Productions, Inc. p. 309. ISBN 0971186804.
- The Captain Hates the Sea at IMDb
- The Captain Hates the Sea at AllMovie
- The Captain Hates the Sea at the TCM Movie Database
- The Captain Hates the Sea at the American Film Institute Catalog