|Editor||Philip Purser-Hallard, Paul Simpson, Paul Driscoll|
|Based in||Edinburgh, Scotland|
The Black Archive is a series of critical monographs about selected individual Doctor Who stories, from the series' earliest history to the present day. Rather than focusing on behind-the-scenes production history as much Doctor Who fan scholarship has done, the series aims to analyse and explore the stories as broadcast. It has been described by Sci-Fi Bulletin as "a fascinating series of short books", and by Doctor Who Magazine as "a grandly ambitious thing to attempt with something as exhaustively detailed as Doctor Who. But they actually manage it."
The series is edited by Philip Purser-Hallard, Paul Simpson and Paul Driscoll, and is published by Obverse Books. It showcases the criticism of prominent Doctor Who critics and authors such as Simon Bucher-Jones, James Cooray Smith, Simon Guerrier, Una McCormack, James F. McGrath, Fiona Moore, Jonathan Morris, Kate Orman and Ian Potter, as well as of less established and new writers. It is named after the museum of alien artifacts seen in the Doctor Who stories "The Day of the Doctor" and "The Zygon Inversion".
The series was launched in March 2016 with the release of the first four books (on Rose (2005), The Massacre (1966), The Ambassadors of Death (1970) and "Dark Water" / "Death in Heaven" (2014)), to generally positive reviews. James Cooray Smith's book on The Massacre was singled out for particular praise for its placing the serial in its historical context, both that of its 1570s setting and that of its writing and production in the 1960s.
Subsequent titles were published every two months and continued to gain consistently positive reviews. In 2018 the series moved to a monthly publication schedule: the books for that year were announced early in 2017. The tenth volume, on the 2003 Doctor Who webcast Scream of the Shalka, reprinted the detailed episode breakdown treatment for "Blood of the Robots", the commissioned but unmade sequel story by Simon Clark. The 25th book, on the 1996 Doctor Who TV movie, included a foreword by, and a new interview with, scriptwriter Matthew Jacobs, and others include new interviews with scriptwriter Chris Boucher and director Farren Blackburn.
- The Black Archive #40: The Underwater Menace by James Cooray Smith (April 2020)
- The Black Archive #41: Vengeance on Varos by Jonathan Dennis (April 2020)
- The Black Archive #42: The Rings of Akhaten by William Shaw (April 2020)
- The Black Archive #43: The Robots of Death by Fiona Moore (May 2020)
- The Black Archive #44: The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang by Philip Bates (June 2020)
- The Black Archive #45: The Unquiet Dead by Erin Horáková (July 2020)
- The Black Archive #46: The Awakening by David Powell (August 2020)
- The Black Archive #47: The Stones of Blood by Katrin Thier (September 2020)
- The Black Archive #48: The Tenth Planet by Michael Seely (October 2020)
- The Black Archive #49: Arachnids in the UK by Sam Maleski (November 2020)
- The Black Archive #50: The Day of the Doctor by Alasdair Stuart (December 2020)
- The Black Archive #50A: The Night of the Doctor by James Cooray Smith (December 2020)
- The Black Archive #51: The Deadly Assassin by Andrew Orton (January 2021)
- The Black Archive #52: The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos by James F McGrath (February 2021)
- The Black Archive #53: The Hand of Fear by Simon Bucher-Jones (March 2021)
- The Black Archive #54: Dalek by Billy Seguire (April 2021)
- The Black Archive #55: Invasion of the Dinosaurs by Jon Arnold (May 2021)
- The Black Archive #56: Vincent and the Doctor by Paul Driscoll (June 2021)
- Doctor Who Magazine issue 498 p75.
- As of January 2019, the earliest Doctor Who story to have a Black Archive title announced is Marco Polo (1964), while the most recent is The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos (2018).
- Interview: Philip Purser-Hallard takes us to the Black Archive by Kara Dennison, (Re)Generation Who.
- Review: Doctor Who: Books: The Black Archive 3: The Ambassadors of Death by Paul Simpson.
- Doctor Who Magazine issue 499 p72.
- The Black Archive #1 - Rose by Kieron Moore, Starburst.
- Review: The Black Archives (Dark Water/Death in Heaven) by Elizabeth Sandifer.
- Review: Doctor Who: Books: The Black Archive 2: The Massacre by Paul Simpson.
- Black Archive 2: The Massacre by Philip Bates
- The Black Archive 10: Scream of the Shalka Reviewed
- Doctor Who Books - The Black Archive 9: The God Complex
- Post on the official Black Archive Facebook page.
- Doctor Who Books - The Black Archive 10: Scream of the Shalka
- Sir Julius Vogel Award Results - 2019