From left to right: Concierge, Muscleman, Frantic, Hotwire, Sumo, Perfect Man, Gadget Gal, Impresario, Prock
|Created by||Seth Meyers|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||30 (list of episodes)|
|Executive producers||Seth Meyers|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production companies||Broadway Video|
Sethmaker Shoemeyers Productions
Bento Box Entertainment
Made In Georgia
|Picture format||16:9 HDTV|
|Original release||August 1, 2013 –|
November 3, 2015
The Awesomes is an American adult animated comedy streaming television series created by Seth Meyers and Mike Shoemaker for Hulu. Meyers and Shoemaker serve as executive producers alongside Lorne Michaels. It debuted on August 1, 2013 and ended on November 3, 2015.
The show follows a group of superheroes who step in and replace the members of a legendary but disbanding superhero team. Under new leadership, The Awesomes attempt to put themselves back together in the face of intense media and government skepticism.
|First aired||Last aired|
|1||10||August 1, 2013||September 26, 2013|
|2||10||August 4, 2014||September 29, 2014|
|3||10||September 8, 2015||November 3, 2015|
In July 2007, Syfy gave a script commitment to the series. Syfy later passed on making the show, but MTV gave it a script commitment in June 2009. After MTV passed, Hulu gave it a 10 episode, straight to series order in April 2013.
Season 1 was sponsored by Jack Link's Beef Jerky. The product appeared in mid-credits scenes.
The show marks Hulu's second foray into original scripted programming. The first season premiered online on August 1, 2013. On September 19, 2013, it was reported that Hulu had announced The Awesomes had been renewed for a second season. The second season premiered on August 4, 2014. On August 19, 2014, Hulu renewed The Awesomes for a third season. On December 17, 2015, Hulu canceled The Awesomes after three seasons and did not renew it for a fourth season due to low ratings.
The Awesomes was the first time Michael Tavera composed music for an adult animated series. Tavera has been well known for composing music for Cartoon Network's Time Squad, Disney's Lilo & Stitch: The Series, and Kids' WB's ¡Mucha Lucha!
Connection to Saturday Night Live
The Awesomes had a strong association with the NBC weekly TV series Saturday Night Live, having starred many current and former SNL cast members including Seth Meyers, Bill Hader, Kenan Thompson, Taran Killam, Bobby Moynihan, Rachel Dratch, Maya Rudolph, Will Forte, Amy Poehler, Kate McKinnon, Colin Quinn, Fred Armisen, Tina Fey, Andy Samberg, Chris Kattan, Cecily Strong, Vanessa Bayer, Noël Wells, Nasim Pedrad and Aidy Bryant as well as SNL writers Steve Higgins, Emily Spivey, Paula Pell, Tim Robinson, Alex Baze and John Lutz. Lorne Michaels served as executive producer, as he has with many other SNL-associated shows. Meyers created the show and Meyers, Killam, Thompson, and Hader all had starring roles while Moynihan, Dratch, Rudolph, Forte, Poehler, McKinnon, Strong and Quinn each had either recurring roles or played various small parts. Of these cast members and writers, Colin Quinn was the only one whose time at SNL did not overlap with Meyers.
Connection to MADtv
- "Sci Fi's Development Slate Delivers Intrepid Mix of Inspired Fantasy, Mythical Adventures and Superpowered Comedy". The Futon Critic. 2007-10-04. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Futon, Critic (2007-06-23). "MTV Announces Dynamic Development Slate of Programming Featuring Broad Spectrum of Talent". The Futon Critic. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Hulu Touts Record Revenue, Original Series At Upfront Presentation". 2013-04-30. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- Sam (2013-09-19). "RedCarpetCrash.com Hulu Picks Up Seth Meyers 'The Awesomes' For Second Season - RedCarpetCrash.com". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2013-09-27. Retrieved 2017-11-02.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "Hulu Renews "The Awesomes" | TV Media Insights – TV Ratings & News – Network TV Show Reviews and Daily Ratings". Web.archive.org. Archived from the original on 2013-09-22. Retrieved 2017-11-02.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Gennis, Sadie (2014-04-30). "Hulu Renews Deadbeat, Sets Premiere Dates for The Awesomes and More - Today's News: Our Take". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2017-01-13.
- "Seth Meyers & Mike Shoemaker's 'The Awesomes' Nabs Third Season On Hulu". August 19, 2014. Retrieved September 8, 2014.
- "The Awesomes Canceled By Hulu After 3 Seasons".
- Topel, Fred. "Exclusive Interview: Seth Meyers & Mike Shoemaker on 'The Awesomes'". Crave. Evolve Media. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: The Awesomes|