|Temple for Peace|
|Location||Aubry-le-Panthou, Orne, Normandy, France|
The Temple for Peace (French: Temple pour la Paix) is a construction project of the congregation Vajradhara-Ling in Normandy to promote world peace. The cornerstone was laid in 2003 and construction started in 2010. This Temple will be built in the same style as the Samye monastery, the first temple built in Tibet that was founded by Padmasambhava in the 8th century CE.
Aims of the Temple
The aims of the Temple for Peace is not only to share teachings of Tibetan Buddhism but also to welcome demonstrations linked to peace: symposia, inter-religious meetings, expositions and performances. It will be a place to encounter and favor the exchanges between different schools of Buddhism, as well as Christian, Moslem, Jews, and other traditions such as those of Indians of North America and Indigenous Australians. Meetings will be organized between wise representatives of these traditions, enabling a better knowledge of their diversity as well as common values: their contributions in building a better world, mutual tolerance and the respect of others, in particular through peace and non-violence. Conferences will gather recognized personalities working to promote peace such as Nobel Peace Prize laureates, women and men involved in humanitarian projects, religious dignitaries of different confessions, artists working to promote respect and tolerance between peoples.
Genesis of the project
The authorization to construct the Temple was granted by the French authorities in March 2002.
The construction started in 2010.
The Temple will have a surface area of 3,600 m² on five levels.
Peace and Light Festival
Since 2006, each year at Kagyu-Dzong, the Peace and Light Festival was started to support the construction of the Temple. It includes art exhibition and performances, and takes place in the Pagode de Vincennes. In 2008, it included a concert by Lama Gyurme and Jean-Philippe Rykiel. In 2010, songs by Lama Gyurme were presented by the French actress Véronique Jannot, while Tshering Wangdu also gave a performance.
- Les projets de Lama Gyourmé pour Vajradhara-Ling
- Festival Paix et Lumière à la Pagode de Vincennes 26 et 27 juin 2010
- Genèse du projet "Temple pour la Paix" Archived 2008-09-07 at the Wayback Machine
- Historique du projet Archived 2009-09-28 at the Wayback Machine
- Dalaï Lama France 2008 Archived 2011-07-27 at the Wayback Machine, see page 18.
- Venue de sa sainteté le dalaï-lama Archived 2008-12-06 at the Wayback Machine, site de Vajradhara-Ling.
- Lama Gyourmé a reçu le Dalaï-lama à Aubry-le-Panthou, Ouest-France, December 29, 2008
- Le dalaï lama devrait attirer les foules en France, Associated Press, August 11, 2008
- Anniversaire du centre tibétain Archived 2010-07-05 at the Wayback Machine, May 2010, page 12
- Paix et lumière, festival au profit de la construction du Temple pour la Paix créé à l’initiative de Lama Gyourmé (26 - 27 juin), Buddhaline
- Visite du Karmapa aux Etats-Unis, portes ouvertes à Paris du Temple pour la Paix qui lui est lié
- Festival Paix et Lumière Archived 2010-09-01 at the Wayback Machine