|sRGBB (r, g, b)||(0, 128, 128)|
|HSV (h, s, v)||(180°, 100%, 50%)|
|ISCC–NBS descriptor||Moderate bluish green|
|B: Normalized to [0–255] (byte)|
Teal is a blue-green colour. Its name comes from that of a bird—the common teal (Anas crecca)—which presents a similarly colored stripe on its head. The word is often used colloquially to refer to shades of cyan in general.
It can be created by mixing blue into a green base, or deepened as needed with black or gray. The complementary color of teal is maroon. It is also one of the initial group of 16 HTML/CSS web colors formulated in 1987. In the RGB model used to create colors on computer screens and televisions, teal is created by turning down the brightness of cyan to about one half.
The first recorded use of teal as a color name in English was in 1917. It is derived from the Middle English tele, a word akin to the Dutch taling and the Middle Low German telink. As a color, its name is believed to have been taken from the small freshwater common teal, a member of the duck family whose eyes are surrounded by this color.
|sRGBB (r, g, b)||(54, 117, 136)|
|CMYKH (c, m, y, k)||(60, 14, 0, 47)|
|HSV (h, s, v)||(194°, 60%, 53%)|
|Source||Kelly, Kenneth L. and Judd, Deanne B. (December 1976) "Color: Universal Language and Dictionary of Names", National Bureau of Standards, Spec. Publ. 440|
|ISCC–NBS descriptor||Moderate greenish blue|
|B: Normalized to [0–255] (byte)|
H: Normalized to [0–100] (hundred)
Teal blue is a medium tone of teal with more blue. The first recorded use of teal blue as a color name in English was in 1927.
The source of this color is the Plochere Color System, a color system formulated in 1948 that is widely used by interior designers. Teal was subsequently a heavily used color in the 1950s and 1960s.
Teal blue is also the name of a Crayola crayon color (color #113) from 1990 to 2003.
This section does not cite any sources. (April 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Aviation: As noted elsewhere, TEAL is also an acronym for the forerunner of Air New Zealand, who used the colour teal as their airline’s signature colour; it appeared not just on plane livery but promotional material and airline bags. When New Zealanders refer to ‘teal green,’ they are more likely referring to the airline colour than the bird’s colour. And it may not be coincidence that the acronym for Tasman Empire Airways Limited is the name of a bird.
- Rapid transit
- A Teal organisation is an emerging organisational paradigm.
- Teal is the jersey color of the Belfast Giants. The color was chosen to be a neutral color in the often heated sporting environments of Belfast. It is also worn by the Charlotte Hornets of the NBA, the Jacksonville Jaguars of the NFL and the San Jose Sharks of the NHL. The Port Adelaide Football Club in the AFL also feature teal in their team colours.
- The Intercessors of the Lamb, a Christian contemplation group in the US state of Nebraska, wears habits with a teal scapular to symbolize intercession between heaven (blue) and earth. Originally organized as a Roman Catholic Association, it was suppressed in 2010 by the Archbishop of Omaha, who directed members to cease wearing the scapular in Church activities.
- Web.forret.com, Color Conversion Tool set to hex code of color #008080 (Teal):
- W3C TR CSS3 Color Module, HTML4 color keywords. W3.org
- "What Color is Teal - What Colors Go With Teal?". 2013-05-22. Archived from the original on 2013-05-22. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "Teal / #008080 hex color". ColorHexa. Retrieved 2016-06-30.
- "Uni Watch's Friday Flashback: Laughing in the purple rain". ESPN.com. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- "A closer look at the uniforms and logos of the 90s". TheScore.com. Retrieved 2017-01-02.
- Maerz, Aloys John and M. Rea Paul (1930) A Dictionary of Color, New York, McGraw-Hill, p. 205; color sample of Teal: p. 101 Plate 39 Color Sample L7
- Norman, Teresa (2003). A World of Baby Names. Perigee. p. 145. ISBN 0-399-52894-6.
teal is used in.
- Maerz, Aloys John and M. Rea Paul (1930) A Dictionary of Color, New York, McGraw-Hill, p. 205; color sample of Teal Blue: p. 101 Plate 39 Color Sample L6
- "NBS/ISCC P - Plochere Color System". 2008-10-04. Archived from the original on 2008-10-04. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- "What are the 10 best desktop wallpapers ever?". CNET. 2007-05-02. Retrieved 2018-07-12.
- van Hurkman, Alexis (2013) Color Correction Look Book
- "Ovarian Cancer National Alliance – We work to save women's lives". Ovarian Cancer National Alliance.
- "BBC Inside Out - Cancer screening". www.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2020-07-08.
- The dictionary definition of Teal at Wiktionary