|WikiProject Albums||(Rated Start-class)|
|WikiProject Jazz||(Rated Start-class, Top-importance)|
Comparison of 10 inch LP releases vs. 12 inch LP vs. CD releases of the same J.J. Johnson Blue Note material from 1953, 1954, 1955
I created this table to help me understand the relationships between the three Blue Note (10 inch LP) Jay Jay Johnson releases of 1953, 1954 and 1955 and the 12 inch LP re-issues and later CD re-issues. I post it here in case this is helpful to anyone else confused by Blue Note's re-use of the same title(s) for different releases.
- It turns out, the German Wikipedia article "The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson" contains a very nice chart illustrating these differences as well. (a slightly modified English version of the chart can be found here.
10 inch LP releases:
- Between 1953 and 1955 Blue Note Records recorded and released three 10 inch LPs by J. J. Johnson. Each LP contained 6 tracks:
- Jay Jay Johnson (1953 BLP 5028) - aka Jay Jay Johnson with Clifford Brown, Jimmy Heath, John Lewis, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke aka Jay Jay Johnson with Clifford Brown aka Jay Jay Johnson Sextet
- The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson, Vol. 2 (1954 BLP 5057) - aka The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson aka Jay Jay Johnson Quintet, Vol. 2
- The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson, Vol. 3 (1955 BLP 5070)
12 inch LP re-issues:
- In 1955 Blue Note re-issued all 18 tracks from those three 10 inch LPs on two new 12 inch LPs:
- The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson, Volume 1 (1955 BLP 1505)
- The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson, Volume 2 (1955 BLP 1506).
- Each 12 inch LP includes 10 tracks. …Vol. 1 contains 5 of the 6 tracks from each of the first two 10 inch albums, while the 12 inch LP …Vol. 2 contains all 6 of the original 10 inch …Vol. 3 tracks plus the two the remaining tracks from the first two 10 inch LPs and two 'alternate takes' from the 1953 session.
- In the CD era, (from the late 1980s), there have been several re-issues of the same material (e.g. in 1989, 1997, 2001) on two CDs,
- The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson, Volume 1 (1989/1997 CDP 7 81505 2, 2001 UPC 724353214326, etc.)
- The Eminent Jay Jay Johnson, Volume 2 (1989/1997 CDP 7 81506 2, 2001 UPC 724353214425, etc.)
- The originally released 18 tracks are distributed differently on the two CD re-issue/compilations vs. how they are distributed on the two 12 inch LP re-issue/compilations. Also, in addition to the 2 alternate takes added to the 12 inch ...Volume 2. LP release, the CDs contain more/'new' alternate takes.
The CD …Volume 1 contains 9 tracks: the 6 1953 tracks plus 3 alternate takes from 1953. The 12 inch LP …Vol. 1 contains 10 tracks: 5 each from the 1953 and 1954 recording sessions. CD …Volume 2 contains 15 tracks: all of the tracks from the 1954 and 1955 sessions plus 3 alternate takes from the 1955 (…Vol. 3) session. LP …Vol. 2 contains the six 1955 tracks and the remaining 2 tracks from the 1953 and 1954 sessions plus two alternate takes from 1953. The track order of later CD re-issue(s) also differs from the earlier CD re-issues. Pugetbill (talk) 01:32, 29 March 2016 (UTC)