This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Hingham, Massachusetts, U.S.
Number of locations
|517 (February 2012)|
|Lizanne Kindler (CEO)|
|Products||Clothing, shoes and accessories|
|Revenue||US$ 1.331 billion|
Number of employees
Talbots is an American specialty retailer and direct marketer of women's clothing, shoes and fashion accessories.
As of 2018, the company operated 495 Talbots stores in the United States: 425 core Talbots stores (412 U.S), 65 Talbots Factory Outlets (U.S.) and five Talbots Clearance stores (4 U.S.). The company's retail operation comprises approximately 80% of its overall business, with the other 20% conducted via catalog and internet.[clarification needed]
The first shop, located in Hingham, Massachusetts, was opened in 1947 by Rudolf and Nancy Talbot. In 1948, the Talbots launched a direct mail business by distributing 3,000 fliers to names obtained from The New Yorker magazine. In 1973, they sold the company, consisting of a growing catalog enterprise and five stores, to General Mills.
The chain was expanded along the U.S. east coast. When General Mills divested its Specialty Retail Division in 1988, Talbots was acquired by JUSCO Co. Ltd. (now ÆON Co., Ltd.).
Talbots became a public company in 1993 and was traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TLB. The New York City-based private equity firm Sycamore Partners acquired Talbots in August 2012 for $391 million (including debt).
- Primack, Dan (2012-08-07). "Private equity deals: August 7, 2012". Finance.fortune.cnn.com. Retrieved 2012-08-15.
- "The Talbots, Inc. Company Profile", Hoover's
- "SYCAMORE PARTNERS COMPLETES ACQUISITION OF TALBOTS: Lizanne Kindler Named CEO , Press release, Sycamore Partners, New York, NY and Hingham, MA, August 7, 2012
- Historical business data for Talbots Inc.:
- SEC filings