|Traded as||ASX: TPG|
|Founded||13 July 2020|
|Headquarters||177 Pacific Hwy, North Sydney, NSW, 2060|
|Iñaki Berroeta (CEO)|
David Teoh (Chairman)
|Products||Prepaid and postpaid mobile phones, fixed-line and wireless broadband|
Number of employees
TPG Telecom Limited, formerly Vodafone Hutchison Australia Pty Limited and renamed following the merger with TPG, is a mobile telecommunications company and Internet service provider. It has operated under names including Vodafone, Vodafone Australia and Vodafone Hutchison Australia, in addition to the various brands inherited from TPG. Vodafone Hutchison was the result of a 2009 merger between Vodafone Australia and Hutchison 3G Australia, it is Australia's third-largest mobile carrier with approximately 5.8 million subscribers, A$3.5 billion in annual revenue and a 19 percent market share making it Australia's third largest mobile telecommunications provider behind Telstra and Optus. It also offers fixed-line and wire broadband services via the National Broadband Network.
TPG Telecom Limited owns and operates its own internet and data network infrastructure, carrier-grade voice, with a network capability that is able to perform across any all types of organizations.
TPG Telecom Limited was previously known as Vodafone Hutchison Limited - Australia. On 30 June 2020, it received a listing on the ASX - Australian Securities Exchange. The newly ASX-listed company merged then officially merged with TPG Corporation, previously known TPG Telecom on 13 July 2020. This combined the resources of two large telecommunications companies to establish a challenger and leading, a full-service telecommunications provider in Australia.
In August 2018, VHA and TPG announced their intention to merge. Initially rejected by the ACCC, the plan was given permission to proceed via a February 2020 Federal Court of Australia ruling. Effective 29 June 2020, Vodafone Hutchison Australia Pty Limited was renamed TPG Telecom Limited (ABN 76 096 304 620).
Important aspects of TPG Telecom limited:
• It boosts a 27,000+-kilometer inter-capital and metropolitan fiber network and is also the second-largest data and fixed-voice network in Australia.
• TPG Telecom limited has an international system of connecting subsea cables to major hubs in Asia and North America from Australia.
• It has a strong 4G network covering more than 22 million customers in over 5,600 sites. Additionally, a 5G network roll-out is currently underway.
A merger a merger of equals transaction between TPG Corporation and TPG Telecom was officially announced 30 August 2018 This combined fixed broadband and mobile from two complementary infrastructures of networks in Australia and the integrated offering will leverage a dynamic portfolio of mobile and fixed products.
The combination of these assets aims to expand TPG Telecom market share in Australia.
How TPG Telecom works for customers
From 13 July 2020, TPG Telecom Limited announced that its customers will start experiencing the merger benefits. In the coming months, the implementation plan entails:
• Rolling out a program that will integrate the VHA and TPG teams.
• Connecting more mobile sites for Vodafone by leveraging the TPG fiber connectivity to boost performance and seamlessly incorporate more customers.
• Integrating TPG's small cell and spectrum assets into Vodafone's network to improve customer experience by delivering a more dynamic mobile network.
According to Iñaki Berroeta(CEO) the two merged complementary firms will be operating side by side and teams are expected to integrate gradually over time.
- "Vodafone's performance for 2017". Media Centre - Vodafone Australia.
- "Information about Vodafone". Vodafone Australia.
- "Competition watchdog to look into TPG's newly announced $15b merger with Vodafone". ABC News. 30 August 2018. Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- Samios, Zoe (30 June 2020). "New-look TPG Telecom to prioritise mobile performance". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "About Vodafone Australia". Vodafone Australia. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "Share Price & Information - ASX". www.asx.com.au. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- Duke, Jennifer (29 August 2018). "Vodafone, TPG to become $15b telco giant to disrupt Optus and Telstra". The Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- Reichert, Corinne. "TPG and Vodafone Australia to merge into AU$15b telco named TPG | ZDNet". ZDNet. Retrieved 2 September 2018.
- "Concerns about proposed merger between TPG and Vodafone". Australian Competition & Consumer Commission.
- Letts, business reporter Stephen (8 May 2019). "TPG share price crashes as ACCC blocks Vodafone merger". ABC News. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- Danckert, Sarah (12 February 2020). "Court clears way for $15b Vodafone-TPG merger". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 13 February 2020.
- Pash, Chris (30 August 2018). "Here's how the TPG-Vodafone merger stacks up against Telstra". Business Insider Australia. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- Harpur, Phil. "TPG Telecom Limited - BuddeComm". www.budde.com.au. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "How the new-look TPG could transform the mobile market". Australian Financial Review. 5 July 2020. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "PROPOSED MERGER OF EQUALS BETWEEN TPG TELECOM LIMITED AND VODAFONE HUTCHISON AUSTRALIA TO CREATE AUSTRALIA'S LEADING CHALLENGER TELECOMMUNICATIONS OPERATOR" (PDF).
- Melbourne, Bronte MooreBronte Moore is a business journalist at Emerald Financial whilst also completing a JD at the University of (5 July 2020). "TPG-Vodafone merger, customers winning from increased Telco competition". The Sentiment. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- Wiel, Ken; Vodafonewatch2020-07-14T07:27:00+01:00. "VHA starts new slate as TPG Telecom". TelcoTitans.com. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "What benefits will customers see from day one of Vodafone TPG merger". Tech Guide. 13 July 2020. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- Caruana, Anthony. "Merger approval after 18-month wait will allow Vodafone to speed up 5G deployment". ZDNet. Retrieved 10 August 2020.
- "Vodafone and TPG will be better together for customers" (PDF).