|Syrian Special Mission Forces|
|Country||Syrian Arab Republic|
|Allegiance||Syrian Arab Republic|
|Branch||Ministry of Interior|
|Role||Quick reaction force|
The Syrian Special Mission Forces are a Quick reaction force of the Ministry of Interior. They are tasked with defending against jihadist attacks on government-controlled parts of Aleppo and Damascus,and other urban settings.
The unit has received self-defence training and military-grade weapons from Russia. The unit is comparable to the Russian ODON. The SSMF uses Russian-suppiled AK-103 and AK-104 as the main service rifles, the former main rifles were the AK-47 and most likely, the AKM as well.
They are noted to have performed well in thwarting attacks by jihadists in the western suburbs and Old City of Aleppo. They have been noted with doing a great job in Aleppo, foiling random attacks by jihadists in the Old City and western suburbs. Not limited to city defense, the Syrian Special Mission Forces have attacked behind enemy lines during the Syrian Army’s East Ghouta offensive. They are more experienced than the National Defence Forces (Syria) in that many are experienced military officers, some with experience in the Syrian Special Forces. It is anticipated that after the war is won and the conflict in the area dissipates, they will help contribute in the rebuilding Syria.
- Alexandra Valiente (10 June 2015). "Syrian Army Continue Successful Operations Against Terrorists Across the Country". Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Syrian Army on verge of capturing major East Ghouta stronghold: Field Report". 29 October 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Syrian Army goes all in on Aleppo as more reinforcements pour into the city - Map update". 25 November 2016. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Syrian Army captures large tunnel, neighborhood in east Damascus town". 21 June 2017. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Newly formed Syrian Special Mission Forces prove effective against jihadist groups". 1 May 2017. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Farsnews". en.farsnews.com. Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- "Спецназ МВД Сирии опробовал на передовой новые АК-104". Retrieved 25 June 2017.
- Fadel, Leith (1 May 2017). "Newly formed Syrian Special Mission Forces prove effective against jihadist groups". Al Masdar News. Retrieved 31 August 2017.
- Newly formed Syrian Special Mission Forces prove effective against jihadist groups, al-Masdar News, 01-05-17