Syria Direct or Syria:direct, founded in 2013, is an independent news organization based in Amman, Jordan, that provides news coverage on Syria's war and politics, and trains journalists. They have been funded by an American organization, the Global Peace and Development (GPD) Charitable Trust, as well as by the US State Department and several embassies in Amman.
Syria Direct is published in English and Arabic. The articles are for readers who are already knowledgeable about Syria but want more detailed information. Syria Direct employs a small team of Syrian and international reporters who talk to Syrian activists and civilians on both sides of the conflict every day by Skype. Syrian journalists write the stories in Arabic. The stories are translated to English, fact-checked and edited, then translated back to Arabic. Their website receives about 50,000 page views every month. Their Facebook page has 77,000 followers. Thousands of people follow their Twitter account.
Syria Direct also has a training program for journalists from Syria. In the past, the training program has received funding from the US Embassy Amman's Public Affairs Section, the Syria-Iraq office of the Konrad Adenauer Stiftung organization, and the Canadian Embassy in Amman. Every six months they train twelve new Syrian journalists. The trainees' stories have been published in USA Today, CNN.com, Radio Free Europe, and international new organizations like Le Monde and The Toronto Globe and Mail. Syria Direct had, as of September 2016, trained 70 journalists, some of whom have since started their own news organizations. By April 2018, this number had risen to 150 journalists from 10 cohorts, made possible by a grant from the US State Department.
- Naar, Ismaeel (23 September 2016). "Jordanian journalist wins Emmy award for CBS Syria documentary". Al Arabiya English.
- "Syrian journalists cover civil war at home from Jordan exile".
- "Syria Direct". gpdcharitabletrust.org.
- "Syrian journalists cover war at home from Jordan". Gulf News. 4 August 2016.
- ‘I wanted to show the truth’: Syria Direct trainees reflect as 10th cohort of journalists graduates. 2018-04-16.
- "Conoce Syria Direct, un equipo de periodistas que cubre Siria desde el exilio".
- John DeBlasio (19 January 2016). "GPD Charitable Trust Annual Report 2015".
- "About Us - Syria Direct". 9 March 2017. Archived from the original on 9 March 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- Syria Direct website
- Parker-Magyar, Katherine (2015). "Remote Control: Journalistic Objectivity from Abroad". www.cpcjmedia2015.com.
|This Syria-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a news website is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|