Susan Birkenhead is an American lyricist.
Birkenhead made her Broadway debut as one of a team of songwriters contributing to Working (1978), for which she received her first Tony Award nomination. Her second was earned for Jelly's Last Jam (1992), which won her the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lyrics and a Grammy Award nomination. Additional Broadway credits include Triumph of Love (Drama Desk nomination) and additional lyrics for the Cole Porter tunes in the 1998 revival of High Society.
Birkenhead's Off-Broadway and regional theatre credits include What About Luv?, a musical adaptation of the Murray Schisgal play Luv, for which she won the Outer Critics Circle Award; Pieces of Eight with Jule Styne and Michael Stewart; Fanny Hackabout Jones with Erica Jong and Lucy Simon; The Night They Raided Minsky's with Charles Strouse and Evan Hunter, the new musical Minsky's based on the same; and, in collaboration with Henry Krieger, two potentially Broadway-bound projects based on hit films, The Flamingo Kid and Moonstruck (with a book by screenwriter John Patrick Shanley).
Birkenhead is one of several lyricists who contributed to Hats!, a musical inspired by the Red Hat Society, which is enjoying an open-ended run at Harrah's New Orleans, after premiering at the New Denver Civic Theatre. The musical had a limited engagement at the Royal George Theatre in Chicago starting in April 2007.
Radio Girl, a musical based on Kate Douglas Wiggin's Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, premiered at the Goodspeed Musicals' Norma Terrace Theatre with music by Henry Krieger, lyrics by Birkenhead, and a book by Daniel Goldfarb. The show ran in 2010 from July 29 to August 22.
Awards and nominations
|1978||Tony Award||Best Original Score||Working||Nominated|
|1992||Jelly's Last Jam||Nominated|
|Drama Desk Award||Outstanding Lyrics||Nominated|
|1998||Triumph of Love||Nominated|
- Working Playbill (vault), accessed March 28, 2016
- Jelly's Last Jam Playbill (vault), accessed March 28, 2016
- High Society Playbill (vault), accessed March 28, 2016
- Dodge, Marcia Milgrom; Dodge, Anthony; Bartlett, Rob. "Introduction" Hats!: The Musical, Samuel French, Inc., 2009, ISBN 0573696721, p. 4
- Oxman, Steven. "Review: ‘Hats!’" Variety, April 30, 2007
- Jones, Kenneth. "Goodspeed's 'Radio Girl', New Musical by Henry Krieger and Susan Birkenhead, Begins July 29" Playbill, July 29, 2010
- Susan Birkenhead at the Internet Broadway Database
- Dramatists Guild Profile
- Internet Off-Broadway Database
|This theatrical biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|