|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
SuperM (Hangul: 슈퍼엠) is a South Korean pop supergroup formed in 2019 by SM Entertainment and Capitol Music Group. The group includes seven members from four SM boy groups: Taemin from Shinee, Baekhyun and Kai from Exo, Taeyong and Mark from NCT 127, and Ten and Lucas from WayV. On October 4, 2019, the group debuted with their self-titled EP.
All members of SuperM were assembled from existing boy groups under SM Entertainment. Taemin debuted as a member of Shinee in May 2008. Baekhyun and Kai debuted as members of Exo in April 2012. Taeyong, Ten, and Mark debuted as members of NCT in April 2016. Lucas debuted in February 2018 as a new member of NCT. Taeyong and Mark were later added to NCT's South Korea-based sub-unit, NCT 127, in July 2016, while Ten and Lucas were added to NCT's China-based sub-unit, WayV, in January 2019.
In 2019, before the official announcement of SuperM's debut, there had been rumors that SM Entertainment was planning to debut a "K-pop Super Boy Band". On August 7, 2019, Capitol Music Group chairman Steve Barnett and SM Entertainment founder Lee Soo-man officially announced the group as SuperM at Capitol Congress 2019. The "M" in SuperM stands for both Matrix and Master, with each member already an established star in their own bands. The teaser revealed the members of the group, with each having performance, vocal, and rap abilities. Lee described the group as "the Avengers of K-pop," with the group focusing more on performance-based music. SM A&R executive and director Chris Lee stated that the group was in the works for around a year, and felt the analogy to the Avengers was apt because according to him, "Each Avenger has their own group and Iron Man has his own movie and Thor has his own, but together, they have an even greater synergy, so like that the members will pursue their own careers and own groups but also join together with synergy - a positive one."
Audiences and followers had mixed opinions on the project at first, with some fans enthusiastic for the band's debut following the release of the first teaser at Capitol Congress 2019, while others were concerned about SM Entertainment prioritizing their established groups, Exo members establishing solo careers before their mandatory military service, and the group debuting in the United States rather than starting with Korean promotions. Writing for MTV News, Caitlin Kelley opines that "the biggest takeaway from the backlash is that it's not that easy to combine the powers of multiple fandoms," and felt that the group's structure might be complicated for American audiences, although she noted that "the fact that SuperM trended worldwide for several hours shows potential. That level of engagement means that there is widespread interest in the group — now it's just a matter of turning public opinion around." Kate Halliwell of The Ringer wrote, "plenty of people support several groups within the K-pop genre at large, and it makes sense to target them whenever possible...but the toxic side of fandom is difficult to escape." She adds that the formation of the group "once again [proves] how online backlash is inevitable, and often overwhelming, when it comes to navigating multiple K-pop fandoms at once," although she felt that the formation of the group "[signifies] a rising tide in Western K-pop demand."
SuperM promoted their debut album both in the United States and in South Korea. Several teasers for the group were posted in SuperM's various social media channels. The group filmed their debut music video in Dubai in August 2019. The group's self-titled debut EP was released on October 4, with the instrumental of one of the album's songs, "I Can't Stand the Rain", released on August 28. SuperM's lead single, "Jopping", was released alongside its music video on the same day as the EP. The EP debuted at number one at the Billboard 200 albums chart, with 168,000 equivalent album units in the week ending October 10.
SuperM had their debut concert at the Capitol Records Building in Los Angeles on October 5, and made their television debut on The Ellen DeGeneres Show on October 9. The group is currently embarking on their first tour, We Are the Future Live, with ten dates in North America from November 2019 to February 2020.
SuperM were announced as global ambassadors for Korean Air in November 2019. On November 4, the group was featured alongside SM labelmate BoA in Korean Air's safety video, which was added to all Korean Air flights on the same day. The song featured in the video, "Let's Go Everywhere," was released on November 18, and proceeds of the song will be donated to Global Poverty Project's Global Citizen campaign.
- Baekhyun (EXO) – Leader, main vocalist 
- Taemin (SHINee) – Main vocalist, main dancer
- Kai (EXO) – Main dancer, Lead rapper, vocalist
- Taeyong (NCT; NCT 127) – Main rapper, lead dancer
- Ten (NCT; WayV) – Main dancer, lead vocalist, sub-rapper
- Lucas (NCT; WayV) – Rapper
- Mark (NCT; NCT 127) – Main rapper, lead dancer, sub-vocalist
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions||Sales|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Sales||Album|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album||Notes|
|"Let's Go Everywhere"||2019||—||23||Non-album single||Collaboration with Korean Air|
Other charted songs
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Album|
|"I Can't Stand The Rain"||2019||10||SuperM|
- "Jopping" did not enter the Gaon Digital Chart, but appeared at no. 108 on the component Download chart.
|"Let’s Go Everywhere"|||
- SuperM: We Are the Future Live (2019–2020)
SuperM: We Are the Future Live
|Leg 1 – North America|
|November 11, 2019||Fort Worth||United States||Dickies Arena||TBA||TBA|
|November 13, 2019||Chicago||United Center|
|November 15, 2019||Duluth||Infinite Energy Center|
|November 17, 2019||Fairfax||EagleBank Arena|
|November 19, 2019||New York City||Madison Square Garden|
|January 30, 2020||San Diego||Viejas Arena|
|February 1, 2020||Inglewood||The Forum|
|February 2, 2020||San Jose||SAP Center|
|February 4, 2020||Kent||accesso ShoWare Center|
|February 6, 2020||Vancouver||Canada||Rogers Arena|
|Leg 2 – Latin America|
|February 9, 2020||Mexico City||Mexico||Mexico City Arena||TBA||TBA|
|Leg 3 – Europe|
|February 26, 2020||Paris||France||AccorHotels Arena||TBA||TBA|
|February 28, 2020||London||United Kingdom||The O2 Arena|
- Yoon, So-yeon (August 9, 2019). SM Ent. to introduce SuperM in Oct.. Korea Joongang Daily. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- STASSEN, MURRAY (August 8, 2019). Capitol Music Group and Caroline Partner with SM Entertainment to Launch New K-Pop Supergroup SuperM. MBW. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- 정, 지원 (August 2, 2019). [단독]엑소+샤이니+NCT 합쳤다…SM, 초특급 보이그룹 론칭. JoyNews24 (in Korean). Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- Min, Kyung-won (August 17, 2019). K-pop hops the pond to meet audiences abroad: As the local market floods with acts, groups aim to build success in the West. KOREA JOONGANG DAILY. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- 박, 동선 (August 9, 2019). SM 'SuperM', 글로벌 관심 잇따라…��� 포브스·빌보드&英 메트로 집중조명. ET News (in Korean). Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- Herman, Tamar (August 8, 2019). EXO, NCT 127, SHINee & WayV Members Unite for SuperM Supergroup Via Capitol Records & SM Entertainment. Billboard. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- SHIN, Y (August 8, 2019). NCT 127 Meets Katy Perry, HRVY, And More International Celebrities At Capitol Congress 2019. Soompi. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- 박, 종서 (August 17, 2019). 프로듀서 이수만의 초국적 프로젝트 ‘SuperM’...멤버들 능통 언어만 6개. Newspim (in Korean). Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- Yim, Hyun-su (August 8, 2019). 'Avengers of K-pop': SHINee, Exo, NCT members team up in new SM supergroup. KPop Herald. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- Lee, Hanna (August 8, 2019). "The Avengers of K-pop" to debut in America. The Korea Times (in Korean). Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- Benjamin, Jeff (August 7, 2019). Super M, 'The Avengers Of K-Pop,' Unveiled By SM Entertainment And Capitol Music Group. Forbes. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- 안, 진용 (August 8, 2019). SM, 美 캐피톨 뮤직 그룹과 글로벌 프로젝트 ‘SuperM’ 론칭어. Munhwa (in Korean). Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- 송, 오정 (August 8, 2019). 슈퍼엠(SUPER M), 티저 영상 공개…뭘 좋아할지 몰라서 다 모아봤어. Topstarnews (in Korean). Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- Kelley, Caitlin (August 13, 2019). "Why Are Fans Split Over K-Pop Supergroup SuperM?". MTV News. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Halliwell, Kate (August 22, 2019). "SuperM and the Futility of Trying to Win Over K-Pop Stans". The Ringer. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Chakraborty, Riddhi (August 8, 2019). Upcoming K-pop Super Group To Feature Members of EXO, SHINee, NCT and WayV. Rolling Stone. Retrieved August 23, 2019.
- Haddad, Hanan (August 26, 2019). "The "Avengers of K-Pop" SuperM To Reportedly Film Debut Music Video In Dubai". E! Online. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Herman, Tamar (August 28, 2019). "'We Are the Future': New K-Pop 'Supergroup' SuperM Announces Debut EP". Billboard. Retrieved August 29, 2019.
- Puah, Ziwei (October 4, 2019). "K-pop supergroup SuperM release video for their debut song, 'Jopping'". NME. Retrieved October 5, 2019.
- Caulfield, Keith (October 13, 2019). "SuperM Debuts at No. 1 on Billboard 200 Albums Chart With 'The 1st Mini Album'". Billboard. Retrieved October 14, 2019.
- Yim, Hyun-su (October 2, 2019). "Q&A: SuperM answers big questions before its debut this week". The Korea Herald. Retrieved October 5, 2019.
- Evans, Mel (October 2, 2019). "SuperM to perform on The Ellen DeGeneres Show as K-pop supergroup makes debut". Metro. Retrieved October 5, 2019.
- Benjamin, Jeff (October 2, 2019). "'K-Pop Avengers' SuperM Announce Arena Tour Before Even Releasing An Album". Forbes. Retrieved October 5, 2019.
- Herman, Tamar (October 2, 2019). "SuperM Announce North American 'We Are the Future' Live Series: See Dates". Billboard. Retrieved October 2, 2019.
- "SuperM Upcoming Shows". Live Nation. Retrieved 2019-11-14.
- "SuperM: We Are The Future Live". KoogleTV. November 13, 2019. Retrieved November 13, 2019.
- "SuperM, 대한항공 글로벌 앰버서더 위촉 [공식입장]" [SuperM appointed as Korean Air Global Ambassadors]. Naver (in Korean). November 6, 2019. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- "SuperM to Release Project Song After Being Named Global Ambassador for 'Korean Air'". Koogle TV. November 6, 2019. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- "SuperM Proves Their Title Worthy As Global Ambassadors Of Korean Air". kpopmap. November 7, 2019. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- Herman, Tamar (November 4, 2019). "SuperM & BoA Star in Sleek Korean Air Safety Video: Watch". Billboard. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- "WATCH: K-Pop group SuperM stars in Korean Air's newest safety video". Philippine Star. November 6, 2019. Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- "New K-pop Band SuperM: 'We Don't Want to Step on Other Groups to Get to the Top'". The Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2019-10-05.
- "Gaon Album Chart – Week 44, 2019". Gaon Chart (in Korean). Retrieved November 7, 2019.
- "Discografie SuperM". Ultratop. Retrieved October 11, 2019.
- "SuperM - Billboard Canadian Albums". Billboard. October 26, 2019. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- France Digital Albums:
- "SuperM - The 1st Mini Album (2019)". October 11, 2019.
- Peaks on the Oricon Albums Chart:
- "SuperM (2019)". November 18, 2019.
- UK Official Album Downloads Chart:
- "SuperM - The 1st Mini Album (2019)". October 11, 2019.
- 2019년 Album Chart [2019 Album Chart]. Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). Retrieved January 10, 2020.
- SuperM 1st Mini Album sales:
- "週間 CDアルバムランキング 2019年12月02日付" [Weekly CD Album Ranking for December 2, 2019] (in Japanese). Oricon. Retrieved November 28, 2019.
- Kpop Hot 100
- "Canadian Hot 100: October 19, 2019". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- "Le Top de la semaine : Top Singles Téléchargés – SNEP (Week 41, 2019)" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- "SuperM – Chart History: Japan Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved October 20, 2019.
- "NZ Hot Singles Chart". Recorded Music NZ. October 14, 2019. Retrieved October 12, 2019.
- "Official Singles Downloads Chart Top 100: October 11, 2019". OCC. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- "SuperM, Bubbling Under Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved October 15, 2019.
- 2019년 40주차 Download Chart [Week 40 of 2019 Download Chart]. Gaon Music Chart (in Korean). September 29–October 5, 2019. Retrieved October 12, 2019. Check date values in:
- "Billboard Japan Hot 100 Singles - 2nd Week of October". Billboard Japan. October 20, 2019.
- Chart positions on the Gaon Digital Chart:
- Billboard World Digital Song Sales:
- "Let's Go Everywhere - World Digital Song Sales". January 11, 2020.
- Billboard World Digital Song Sales:
- "I Can't Stand The Rain, 2 Fast, Super Car, No Manners". October 19, 2019.
- "SuperM 슈퍼엠 'Jopping' MV". SMTOWN. 2019-10-04. Retrieved October 4, 2019 – via YouTube.
- "Korean Air X SuperM 'Let's Go Everywhere' MV". 대한항공 (Korean Air). 2019-11-17. Retrieved November 17, 2019 – via YouTube.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to SuperM.|