Sudsakorn (Thai: สุดสาคร; rtgs: Sutsakhon) is a fictional character in Sunthorn Phu's story Phra Aphai Mani, written in Thailand during the Rattanakosin period. Sudsakorn, the son of Phra Aphaimani and a mermaid, was born at Ko Kaeo Pisadan (เกาะแก้วพิสดาร, Magical Island) without ever having seen his father. His adventure begins after he grows up and begins to seek after him.
On a magical island called "Kokaeophitsadan" (เกาะแก้วพิสดาร), a mermaid gives birth to a child named "Sudsakorn" (สุดสาคร) which means "the edge of the sea". The boy is reared and cared for by an old, wise hermit who eventually helps his mentee rescue his parents from a yakṣī called Nang Phisueasamut (นางผีเสื้อสมุทร).
The boy soon begins a quest in search of Phra Aphaimani (พระอภัยมณี) who is his father, and so he begs the hermit to teach him martial arts in order to protect himself from the dangers that would happen along the way. The hermit does so and also gives Sudsakorn a special gift, a flying horse-like creature called Maninmangkorn (ม้านิลมังกร, jet dragon horse), to shorten his journey. After Sudsakorn and this creature leave the island, they are lured into a haunted island by evil spirits and become lost. They fight for several hours and escape various threats.
Later on in their journey, they encounter a nudist who steals Maninmangkorn and attempts to kill the boy by pushing him over a cliff. Sudsakorn unexpectedly survives the fall and sets out to retrieve Maninmangkorn. He hunts down the nudist and engages him successfully in combat. Sudsakorn is so successful that it draws the attention of a king, who decides to adopt him.
Time passes and Sudsakorn, having grown bigger and stronger, continues his quest to find his father, with the help of his newly acquired brothers who board ships to follow Sudsakorn out to sea. In middle of the second journey, a large group of giant butterflies suddenly attack them and capture Sudsakorn’s brothers and carry them off to an island. Sudsakorn follows the butterflies to the island and kills them all. He then rescues his brothers and finally discovers his long-lost father in the process.
The story of Sudsakorn in popular media
- The Legend of Sudsakorn, a 2006 Thai live-action fantasy film.
- Sudsakorn, a 3D computer graphic animated TV series on channel 7 beginning from 2002.
- The Adventure of Sudsakorn, a 1979 Thai animated film.
- (2016, January 31). Retrieved from mthai: http://teen.mthai.com/education/37520.html
- Sudsakorn. (2016, January 31). Retrieved from Myfirstbrain: http://www.myfirstbrain.com/student_view.aspx?ID=52581
- Sudsakorn. (2016, January 31). Retrieved from Gottoknow: https://www.gotoknow.org/posts/519737
- Qilin, a similar horse-like dragon in Chinese mythology.