Type of site
|Owner||STV Group plc|
|Alexa rank||2,106 (UK) (April 2019[update])|
www.stv.tv is the URL of the website of the Scottish television channel, STV. The website's main features are the STV Player - the video on-demand service offered by the broadcaster, the STV News section - which also features Sport, Weather and Entertainment, plus an extensive Competition section.
stv.tv was first launched in May 2006, with the merger of Scottish TV and Grampian TV, both becoming "STV". The first incarnation of the website was simply the old Scottish TV website with the new STV logo and some new colours, whilst work was ongoing behind the scenes to launch a brand new site, with new features.
Website builder, Dog Digital helped launch the new-look site in July 2006, with the aim of being Scotland’s main source of online information and entertainment, targeting a wide Scottish audience, with a younger market bias. Dog's remit had been to devise, deliver and develop a strategic digital marketing plan for the new online channel, including the design and integration of the new brand, navigation, and digital marketing in the form of a sizeable online campaign which would be activated to raise awareness of the new online channel. Along with the expected News, Sport, Weather and Programme pages, the site also had other stand-alone sections: stvbingo.tv, stvdate.tv and stvout.tv. STV later took interest in other classified sites, including money-saving and consumer website, PeoplesChampion.com and SmartyCars.com, a car-selling and motoring site. All of these stand-alone sites would later close, one by one.
STV began overhauling the website in August 2008, with the launch of their online catch-up service, stv.tv/video, developed by online video specialists, Brightcove. Over the coming months, the various sections of the site were updated with the new layout, and more programme pages were created, including for shows from the ITV Network.
In early 2009. STV launched its new online classified recruitment service, stvjobs.com. The site was supported by a multi-million pound media campaign including TV, Radio, Cinema, Online, Direct and Outdoor Advertising. The website closed in 2013.
In July 2009, the Video section of the site was relaunched as "STV Player", with added functionality, including parental controls and TV schedules. 
STV Casino, in partnership with NetPlay TV, was launched on air and online in September 2009, and closed February 2010. The following year, STV launched another casino website, STV Live Casino in July 2011.
STV Holidays was launched in 2011, in partnership with Barrhead Travel. The website would later be rebranded as "ScottishPassport.com", to accompany the STV series, before closing down altogether.
STV Local, an initiative which aimed to create a network of hyper-local websites across Scotland, was launched in June 2011. The first areas to launch were Airdrie, Bellshill, Coatbridge, Cumbernauld, Motherwell and Wishaw. The service was rolled out across the whole of Scotland over the following two years. The local services were closed in July 2013, before the launch of dedicated websites for the cities of Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow later that year. The initiative was then quietly dropped, with the City websites redirecting to their relevant sections of the STV News website.
In October 2016, after the success of the STV Children's Appeal, the company launched The Scottish Children’s Lottery. The Scottish Children’s Lottery operates independently of STV in accordance with the requirements of the licences from the UK Gambling Commission. Lottery draws are broadcast on STV every Monday and Thursday.
In mid-2017, the STV Player was made the homepage of stv.tv, with the small News and Competitions sections on the homepage removed, with just a link to those pages at the header and footer of the page.
- "stv.tv Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "STV Bingo ad". The Union Advertising Agency - YouTube. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "STV Date ad". The Union Advertising Agency - YouTube. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "STV Out ad". The Union Advertising Agency - YouTube. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "SMG to launch money-saving website PeoplesChampion". Campaign Live. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "Smart move into internet car sales". The Scotsman. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "STV Jobs ad". The Union Advertising Agency - YouTube. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "STV's new catch-up TV service - behind the scenes". Brightcove. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "STV to broadcast NetPlay TV casino games". The Drum. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "STV Live Casino launched using VueTec technology". iGaming Business. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "STV partners with Barrhead Travel to launch holiday website". The Drum. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "STV officially launches STV Local". Digital Spy. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "New charitable lottery for Scotland to launch". STV Group plc. Retrieved 21 April 2019.