|Born||Santos S. Gan|
May 22, 1945
Skull the Slayer
Steve Gan was born as Santos S. Gan but changed his first name to "Steve" in admiration of Steve Ditko. Gan studied architecture at the Mapúa Institute of Technology and later worked as an artist in the Komiks industry.
It was as Steve Gan that he got a huge break drawing for American comic book publisher Marvel Comics, sending work through his United States-based agent, the Filipino comic book artist Tony DeZuñiga. In 1974, Gan began drawing for Marvel Comics and contributed to their line of black-and-white magazines including Savage Tales and Dracula Lives. He co-created Star-Lord and Skull the Slayer with writers Steve Englehart and Marv Wolfman respectively. Gan was highly regarded for his artwork on both Conan titles Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword of Conan from 1974 - 1979.
Gan briefly worked for Warren Publishing in the early 1980s. After leaving the comics industry, he became a layout designer and storyboard artist in the animation field. Upon the release of the Guardians of the Galaxy film in 2014, Gan was given both a credit in the movie and royalties for co-creating Star-Lord.
- Conan the Barbarian #58–63 (1976)
- Deadly Hands of Kung Fu #16 (1975)
- Dracula Lives #12–13 (1975)
- Marvel Premiere #28 (1976)
- Marvel Preview #4 (Star-Lord), 19 (Solomon Kane) (1976–1979)
- Savage Sword of Conan #1, 5, 13, 25, 51 (1974–1979)
- Savage Tales #6–9, 11–12 (1974–1975)
- Skull the Slayer #1–3, 6 (1975–1976)
- Tarzan Annual #1 (1977)
- Creepy #122, 134–135 (1980–1982)
- Alanguilan, Gerry (n.d.). "Steve Gan". Alanguilan.com. Archived from the original on October 26, 2016.
- De Vera, Ruel S. (August 2, 2014). "Steve Gan finally in the spotlight". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Manila, Philippines. Archived from the original on February 20, 2016.
- Christiansen, Jeff (April 23, 2004). "Jim Scully". Appendix to the Handbook of the Marvel Universe. Archived from the original on June 13, 2016.
- "Steve Gan". Lambiek Comiclopedia. December 16, 2006. Archived from the original on May 5, 2016.
- Cotter, Robert Michael "Bobb" (2008). The Great Monster Magazines: A Critical Study of the Black and White Publications of the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Jefferson, North Carolina: McFarland & Company. pp. 165–167. ISBN 978-0786433896.
- Steve Gan at the Grand Comics Database
- Bails, Jerry (n.d.). "Gan, Steve". Who's Who of American Comic Books 1928-1999. Archived from the original on December 28, 2016.
- Olivares, Rick (December 30, 2014). "Hits, misses and breaks with Filipino comic book great Steve Gan". The Philippine Star. Manila, Philippines. Archived from the original on October 25, 2015.
| Conan the Barbarian inker