Steve Buckley (born 1956) is an American journalist. He has been a regular columnist with the Boston Herald since 1995, contributing to the paper's Sports section. His columns often use historical perspective drawn from a diverse variety of sources. He joined Boston Sports radio station WEEI in 1993 and has been a regular on the station's The Big Show since its debut in 1995. He also makes regular appearances on New England Sports Tonight on CSN New England and on WBZ-TV's "Sports Final". Prior to joining the Herald, he was a columnist with the National Sports Daily. Buckley is a member of the Baseball Writers Association of America.
In 1999 he wrote and produced I'll be Seeing You: An American Story of World War II, a one-hour documentary, for NECN. He received a New England Emmy for best sports feature in 1998. He has been a frequent guest on SportsDesk on NESN.
In addition to his regular columns, he has written numerous articles for Boston Magazine, Yankee Magazine and other periodicals and several books. Red Sox: Where Have You Gone? appeared in 2005. With Jim Caple, he authored The Best Boston Sports Arguments (2006). His book Wicked Good Year (2009) chronicled the Celtics, Red Sox, and Patriots during the 2007 season.
Buckley organizes a yearly event: The Old Time Baseball Game, played at St. Peter's Field in Cambridge, MA. The game celebrates the U.S. national pastime as it was played around the turn of the century. The game is noted for the collection of authentic wool uniforms.
In a column that appeared in the January 6, 2011 edition of the Boston Herald, Buckley came out as gay. He spent the afternoon as a guest host on WEEI's "The Big Show" addressing callers and explaining his column from that morning.
- Red Sox: Where Have You Gone? (Sports Publishing, 2005)
- Jim Caple and Steve Buckley, The Best Boston Sports Arguments: The 100 Most Controversial, Debatable Questions for Die-Hard Boston Fans (Sourcebooks, 2006)
- Wicked Good Year: How the Red Sox, Patriots, and Celtics turned the Hub of the Universe into the Capital of Sports (It Books, 2009)
- Boston Globe: Dan Shaughnessy, "A few thoughts regarding baseball spring to mind," March 5, 2006, accessed January 6, 2011
- "The Big Show Bio: Steve Buckley". WEEI. Archived from the original on 2006-03-16. Retrieved 2005-12-24.
- Boston Herald: Steve Buckley, "Welcome to my coming-out party," January 6, 2011, accessed January 6, 2011; Boston Globe: Rob Anderson, "Sports columnist Steve Buckley comes out; the Internet reacts," January 6, 2011, accessed January 6, 2011