|Born||13 September 1917|
|Died||22 October 1996(aged 79)|
|Alma mater||Uppsala University|
|Known for||Studies on the relief of Scandinavia|
Geological Survey of Sweden
Sten Rudberg (13 September 1917 – 22 October 1996) was a Swedish geologist and geomorphologist. He was the son of Gunnar Rudberg. Sten Rudberg was appointed chair professor of the Göteborg University in 1958 after incumbent professor Karl-Erik Bergsten moved to Lund University. In 1959 Rudberg was elected into the Royal Society of Sciences and Letters in Gothenburg. Subsequently in 1961 Rudberg's professorship was transformed into a professorship in Physical geography. In 1964 Rudberg went to head the department of Physical geography after the Geography department of the Göteborg University was dissolved and Human geography formed its own department. Rudberg remained professor in Gothenburg until 1984.
Rudbergs Ph.D. thesis dealt with the large-scale geomorphology and denudation chronology of Västerbotten in northern Sweden, he subsequently continued to work on large scale geomorphology of Scandinavia while also making scientific contributions dealing with wind erosion, cliff retreat, and periglacial mass movements. While working with large-scale geomorphology Rudberg was not concerned with tectonics.
- Sten Rudberg in Vem är Vem.
- Händelser i avdelningen för kulturgeografis historia
- "Sten Rudberg". Nationalencyklopedin (in Swedish). Cydonia Development. Retrieved June 22, 2016.
- Lidmar-Bergström, Karna; Olvmo, Mats (2015). Plains, steps, hilly relief and valleys in northern Sweden – review, interpretations and implications for conclusions on Phanerozoic tectonics (PDF) (Report). Geological Survey of Sweden. p. 9. Retrieved June 29, 2016.
- Rudberg, S. (1965). Reconstruction of polycyclical relief in Scandinavia. Norsk Geografisk Tidsskrift, 20, 66.
- Seppälä, Matti (2004). Wind as Geomorphic Agent in Cold Climates. Cambridge University Press. p. 331. ISBN 0 521 56406 9. Retrieved June 21, 2016.
- Rudberg, Sten (1967). "The cliff coast of Gotland and the rate of cliff retreat". Geografiska Annaler. 49 (2): 283–298. doi:10.2307/520895.
- Rudberg, S. (1962). A report on some field observations concerning periglacial geomorphology and mass movement on slopes in Sweden. Biuletyn Peryglacjalny, 11, 311-323.
|This article about a Swedish scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|