Roe street façade (facing south) of the State Theatre of Western Australia
|Address||146–148 William Street|
|Owner||Government of Western Australia|
|Operator||Perth Theatre Trust|
|Capacity||575 - Heath Ledger Theatre|
234 - Studio Underground
200 - The Courtyard
|Opened||27 January 2011|
|Architect||Kerry Hill Architects|
|Black Swan State Theatre Company|
Perth Theatre Company
The State Theatre Centre of Western Australia is a theatre complex located within the Perth Cultural Centre in Perth, Western Australia. The larger of three dedicated performance areas is known as the Heath Ledger Theatre in honour of Perth-born film actor Heath Ledger.
Design and construction
In July 2008 the Western Australian government announced that the complex would be named after Heath Ledger, however after a change of government, that decision was modified in December 2008 to apply only to the main auditorium.
The centre was officially opened on 27 January 2011.
The largest of three dedicated performance areas is the 575 seat Heath Ledger Theatre, named in honor of the late Academy Award winning actor. It is a traditional proscenium theatre. The stage can be modified to accommodate an orchestral pit. All the rows of seats are curved to face the stage and each row is elevated above the row in front, so that the occupant of every seat in the house can have an unobstructed view of the stage. There are timber acoustic baffles below the ceiling which enhance the acoustic qualities of the auditorium and the walls of the auditorium are lined with attractive timber panels.
Although there is an inconspicuous lift, the main entry to the first floor foyer of the theatre is by a staircase over which hang spectacular decorative elements. The foyer is timber paneled like the auditorium.
- Spagnolo, Joe (20 November 2005). "Design takes centre stage". The Sunday Times.
- Banks, Ron (17 December 2005). "Field of theatrical dreams". The West Australian.
- "History". State Theatre Centre of Western Australia. Retrieved 22 July 2013.
- "WA: New Perth arts centre to be named after Heath ledger". AAP Australian National News Wire. 1 July 2008.
- "WA: Heath Ledger posthumously put to one side". AAP Australian National News Wire. 11 December 2008.
- "Theatre Specifications". State Theatre Centre of Western Australia. Retrieved 23 July 2013.
Media related to State Theatre Centre of Western Australia at Wikimedia Commons