Issue #1 cover (January 2015)
|Publication date||January 2015 – present|
|No. of issues||75 + Annuals #1-4|
Star Wars is an ongoing Star Wars comic series published by Marvel Comics since January 14, 2015. Originally written by Jason Aaron with art by John Cassaday, it is set between the 1977 film Star Wars and its 1980 sequel, The Empire Strikes Back. The series features classic Star Wars characters Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Chewbacca, C-3PO, and R2-D2. It was one of three new Star Wars comics by Marvel announced in July 2014, along with Darth Vader and the limited series Princess Leia. The series is also referred to as "Star Wars, Volume II", counting as Volume I Marvel's original comic series (published from 1977).
In 2017, Jason Aaron stepped down as the comic's writer and was replaced by Kieron Gillen while the art was taken over by Salvador Larroca. In 2019, Marvel announced that the series will be finished after 75 issues. A new comic of the same name will continue the story after the events of The Empire Strikes Back and will launch with issue #1 being released in January 2020.
The Star Wars series focuses on Luke, Leia and Han's continued conflict against the Galactic Empire with their fellow Rebel allies soon after the destruction of the first Death Star. As the series begins, Leia leads a covert Rebel mission to destroy an Imperial weapons factory, attracting the attention of Darth Vader. In issues #4–5, Luke returns to Tatooine, searching Obi-Wan Kenobi's abandoned house for anything of interest regarding Obi-Wan or his father. He fights Boba Fett but also discovers Obi-Wan's journals, which Luke reads in issues #7, #15, #20, and #26–30. Issue #6 introduces Sana Starros, who is dramatically introduced as Han Solo's wife but later confesses to have only posed as his spouse during a previous scam. She becomes a recurring character. Issues #13–14 are part of the "Vader Down" crossover with the Darth Vader comic series. Issues #26–30 flash back to Yoda's history before the events of The Phantom Menace, as recounted in Obi-Wan's journals. Issues #31–32 are part of "The Screaming Citadel" crossover with the Doctor Aphra series.
Characters and development
Aaron said in 2014, "We wanted this to feel like the movies. We wanted to feel like we were hired to do the direct sequel to the original film ... It's very much a team book and we've got all the main players here. Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, the droids, and Darth Vader all get big moments in this first arc, and that's our core cast going forward." He explained that Luke's story is a main thrust of the comic, considering where the character is at this point in the timeline, adding:
This is all pretty new to him. His world has changed completely. He had this mentor for five minutes who now is dead and leaves him with all these questions about his father, about his history, and where he goes from here, and what’s his role in the grand scheme of things ... He's on this journey of discovery by himself, and he wants to find out more about his father. Meanwhile, Darth Vader's chasing after him trying to find out who's this guy that blew up the Death Star. I like the fact that they’re kind of chasing each other, without realizing the full implication of what they’re chasing. Luke’s chasing after his dad while running away from Vader.
Aaron also noted that Han is in "an interesting spot at this point in the timeline ... We don't know how fully committed he is to this Rebellion, and we're in the very early stages of his relationship with Leia ... And of course, you know with Han, eventually his past is going to start catching up to him."
Star Wars was one of three new Star Wars comics by Marvel announced in July 2014, along with Princess Leia and Darth Vader. The Star Wars comic was set to be written by Jason Aaron and illustrated by John Cassaday, and released in January 2015. Several variant covers were printed for the first issue. Simone Bianchi was the guest artist for issue #7. Stuart Immonen took over as artist with issue #8 in July 2015, completing the series' second story arc through issue #12.
|Star Wars: Volume 1 – Skywalker Strikes||Star Wars #1–6||October 6, 2015|
|Star Wars: Volume 2 – Showdown on the Smuggler's Moon||Star Wars #7–12||January 26, 2016|
|Star Wars: Vader Down||Star Wars #13–14, Vader Down #1, Darth Vader #13–15||April 19, 2016|
|Star Wars: Volume 3 – Rebel Jail||Star Wars #15–19, Annual #1||August 16, 2016|
|Star Wars: Volume 4 – Last Flight of the Harbinger||Star Wars #20–25||January 31, 2017|
|Star Wars: Volume 5 – Yoda's Secret War||Star Wars #26–30, Annual #2||July 18, 2017|
|Star Wars: The Screaming Citadel||Star Wars #31–32, The Screaming Citadel #1, Doctor Aphra #7–8||October 24, 2017|
|Star Wars: Volume 6 – Out Among the Stars||Star Wars #33–37, Annual #3||December 5, 2017|
|Star Wars: Volume 7 – The Ashes of Jedha||Star Wars #38–43||April 17, 2018|
|Star Wars: Volume 8 – Mutiny at Mon Cala||Star Wars #44–49||August 7, 2018|
|Star Wars: Volume 9 – Hope Dies||Star Wars #50–55, Annual #4||December 25, 2018|
|Star Wars: Volume 10 – No Escape||Star Wars #56–61||April 9, 2019|
|Star Wars: Volume 11 – The Scourging of Shu-Torun||Star Wars #62–67||August 13, 2019|
|Star Wars: Volume 12 – Rebels and Rogues||Star Wars #68–75||November 19, 2019|
|Star Wars: Volume 1||Star Wars #1–12||September 20, 2016|
|Star Wars: Volume 2||Star Wars #15–25, Annual #1||June 20, 2017|
|Star Wars: Volume 3||Star Wars #26–30, 33–37, Annuals #2–3||July 17, 2018|
- Whitbrook, James (22 August 2019). "COMICS MARVEL Marvel's Star Wars Series Is Coming to a Close This November". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2 September 2019.
- McMillan, Graeme (October 4, 2019). "Marvel to Relaunch 'Star Wars' Comic With Time Jump". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved October 6, 2019.
- Brooks, Dan (July 26, 2014). "SDCC 2014: Inside Marvel's New Star Wars Comics". StarWars.com. Retrieved August 20, 2016.
- Wheeler, Andrew (July 26, 2014). "Force Works: Marvel Announces Three New Star Wars Titles From All-Star Creative Teams". Comics Alliance. Archived from the original on October 8, 2016. Retrieved August 20, 2016.
- Yehl, Joshua (July 26, 2014). "SDCC 2014: Marvel Announces 3 Star Wars Comics for 2015". IGN. Retrieved August 20, 2016.
- Young, Bryan (September 27, 2016). "The Playlist: A Guide to Obi-Wan Kenobi's Biggest Moments". StarWars.com. Retrieved October 29, 2016.
- Schedeen, Jesse (June 3, 2016). "Star Wars Delivers Huge Change for Han Solo". IGN. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- Schedeen, Jesse (October 13, 2016). "Star Wars: Who Is Sana Solo?". IGN. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- Campbell, Evan (September 19, 2016). "Yoda's Pre-Phantom Menace History Will Be Revealed in Marvel's Star Wars Comic". IGN. Retrieved October 29, 2016.
- McMillan, Graeme (February 8, 2017). "Horror Coming to Star Wars in Unexpected Comic Book Storyline". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- Beard, Jim (July 27, 2014). "SDCC 2014: Star Wars". Marvel.com. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- "Star Wars #1 Variant Cover By Joe Quesada—First Look!". StarWars.com. September 29, 2014. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- Franich, Darren (October 20, 2014). "Star Wars exclusive: Check out this Alex Ross cover for Marvel's Star Wars #1". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved September 3, 2016.
- "The Secret History of Ben Kenobi Revealed in Star Wars #7". Marvel.com. July 2, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2016.
- "Stuart Immonen Joins Star Wars". Marvel.com. March 17, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2016.