|26th Screen Awards|
|Awarded for||Best in film|
|Network||Star Plus (2000—11 & 2016—)|
Life OK (2014—15)
|Produced by||Diamond Pictures (2000—)|
The Screen Awards is an annual awards ceremony held in India honouring professional excellence in Bollywood. The nomination and award selection is done by a panel of distinguished professionals from the industry. The awards were introduced by the Screen film magazine of The Indian Express Group in 1995. The magazine was acquired by Star India in 2015 and subsequently closed down. Though Star India continues to sponsor the awards under the Star Screen Awards title.
The name of the annual ceremonies are prefixed by the presenting network; the first "Star Screen Awards" were telecasted on Star Plus from 2000 till 2011, after which the "Colors Screen Awards" were previewed on Colors and the "Life OK Screen Awards" on Life OK, each for a period of two years. As of 2019, Star continues to hold the television distribution rights.
The Screen Awards, initiated by the chairman of The Express Group, Mr. Viveck Goenka in 1994, is focused on excellence in films in India. The awards attempt to position themselves as India's first awards that are given by the film fraternity to the film fraternity by way of a jury, as opposed to the other "popular" awards. The awards are also the first to be conducted every year.
The Awards for Hindi and Marathi films, TV and non-film music are presented annually in January each year. Several editions of the awards such as the "Screen Weekly Awards", "Screen Videocon Awards", "Star Screen Awards", "Colors Screen Awards" and "Life OK Screen Awards" have thus far been presented. Until 2001, the awards were sponsored by Videocon International and hence known as the Screen Videocon Awards. For the regional cinema of South India, Screen has held three editions of the "Screen Awards for excellence in South Indian Cinema". The awards were presented for Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam and Kannada cinema.
The 23rd Star Screen Awards was held on 4 December 2016 and broadcast on Star Plus on 31 December 2016. The event was created and designed by Anil Jha and produced and executed by Mohomed Morani and Cineyug Group of Companies.
- Best Film
- Best Director
- Best Actor
- Best Actress
- Best Supporting Actor
- Best Supporting Actress
- Best Villain
- Best Comedian
- Best Music Director
- Best Lyricist
- Best Male Playback
- Best Female Playback
- Most Promising Newcomer - Male
- Most Promising Newcomer – Female
Popular Choice Awards
- Best Story
- Best Screenplay
- Best Dialogue
- Best Background Music
- Best Editing
- Special Effects
- Best Art Direction
- Best Action
- Best Cinematography
- Best Choreography
- Best Sound Design
- Lifetime Achievement
- Jodi No. 1
- Best Child Artist
- Special Jury Award
- Entertainer of the Year (2010)
- Best Animation Film (2009)
- Best Film in English (2009)
- Best Fresh Talent
- Screen Award Best Jodi of Decade
- Screen Award for Showman of the Millennium - Raj Kapoor (2002)
- Screen Award for Best Performer of The Year - Ekta Kapoor (2012)
- Screen Legend of Indian Cinema Award - Amitabh Bachchan (2013)
Records and facts
Most awards to a single film
Most directing awards
Most awards for music direction
- A.R. Rahman = 5
Most Lyricist Awards
Most playback singer awards - male
Most playback singer awards - female
- Shreya Ghoshal = 7
- K.S.Chithra ( includes for South Indian languages) = 3
- Kavita Krishnamurthy = 2
- Alka Yagnik = 2
- Sunidhi Chauhan = 2
Youngest Best Actress Winner
Youngest Best Actor Winner
- IndiaToday.in (staff) (10 March 2015). "Star acquires 'Screen', The Indian Express Group's film magazine". India Today. Retrieved 28 July 2019.
- "Screen Awards". Indian Express Newspapers. 2002. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- Vanita Kohli-Khandeka, The Indian Media Business, SAGE Publications India, 1 August 2008
- "Nokia Star Screen Special Awards Categories Of Star Screen Special Awards". www.awardsandshows.com. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- "Stage set for Screen-Videocon award ceremony". expressindia.indianexpress.com. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Screen Awards.|