The Stanwell ward covers the residential area southwest of Penarth town centre including the neighbourhoods of Morristown and the area around Stanwell Road and Stanwell Comprehensive School. The Penarth wards of Cornerswell and Plymouth lie to the north and south respectively, while the county ward of Dinas Powys is located to the west. Two county councillors are elected from the Stanwell ward to the Vale of Glamorgan Council  and three town councillors to Penarth Town Council.
Vale of Glamorgan Council
At the May 2017 Vale of Glamorgan council elections both seats were won by Welsh Labour. One of the councillors, Lis Burnett, had represented the neighbouring St Augustine's ward prior to the election, but had decided not to stand again in that ward after initiating several controversial schemes during her tenure.
Since 1995 the Stanwell ward has consistently elected Labour councillors to the county council.
South Glamorgan County Council
- Election maps, Ordnance Survey. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- The County Borough of The Vale of Glamorgan (Electoral Changes) Order 2002 (PDF). legislation.gov.uk. Statutory Instruments. 6 December 2002. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- Sharon Harris (5 May 2017) "Town Council election results", Penarth Times. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Stanwell - Key Stats". UKcensusdata.com. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Cllr Lis Burnett Quits St Augustine's Ward To Stand In Stanwell". Penarth Daily News. 18 March 2017. Retrieved 29 May 2018.
- "Vale of Glamorgan Council Election Results 1995-2012" (PDF). The Elections Centre. Retrieved 17 May 2018.
- "South Glamorgan County Council Election Results 1973-1993" (PDF). The Election Centre. Retrieved 19 February 2019.