Stanner E.V. Taylor
|Born||September 28, 1877|
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
|Died||November 23, 1948 (aged 71)|
He was born on September 28, 1877 in St. Louis, Missouri and died on November 23, 1948 in Los Angeles, California. He was married to Biograph Company actress Marion Leonard. The worked together in Where the Breakers Roar (1908).
He wrote Native Americans and western films like Comata, the Sioux (1909), The Kentuckian (1908), A Mohawk's Way (1910), The Mohican's Daughter (1910), The Squaw's Love (1911), and The Yaqui Cur (1913).
He met D. W. Griffith when he first arrived at Biograph Company, when newspaperman Lee Doc Dougherty headed the story department and hired Griffith as chief scenarist. He worked under the direction of Griffith in The Mended Lute (1909), The Impalement (1910), The Purgation (1910), A Flash of Light (1910), The Great Love (1918), The Greatest Thing in Life (1918), The Girl Who Stayed at Home (1919), Scarlet Days (1919), The Greatest Question (1919) and The Idol Dancer (1920). They worked together in the screenplay for The Hun Within (1918).
He directed an unknown film called The Terror, released on July 13, 1922.
- The Adventures of Dollie (1908)
- The Greaser's Gauntlet (1908)
- Where the Breakers Roar (1908)
- The Pirate's Gold (1908)
- The Kentuckian (1908)
- One Touch of Nature (1909)
- In Old California (1910)
- A Romance of the Western Hills (1910)
- Ramona (1910)
- In the Border States (1910)
- What the Daisy Said (1910)
- A Flash of Light (1910)
- A Mohawk's Way (1910)
- The Last Drop of Water (1911)
- Through Darkened Vales (1911)
- Under Burning Skies (1912)
- The Goddess of Sagebrush Gulch (1912)
- In the Aisles of the Wild (1912)
- The Tenderfoot's Money (1913)
- Two Men of the Desert (1913)
- The Yaqui Cur (1913)
- The Rise of Susan (1916)
- Public Be Damned (1917)
- The Great Love (1918)
- The Greatest Thing in Life (1918)
- The Greatest Question (1919)
- Roulette (1924)
- The Miracle of Life (1926)
- Dog Law (1928)
- Vazzana, Eugene Michael (2001). Silent Film Necrology. McFarland Publishing. p. 310. ISBN 9780786410590.
- Mayer, David (2009). Stagestruck Filmmaker: D. W. Griffith and the American Theatre. University of Iowa Press. p. 129. ISBN 9781587298400.
- Brown, Kelly R. (September 18, 2014). Florence Lawrence, the Biograph Girl: America's First Movie Star. McFarland Publishing. p. 161. ISBN 9781476613178.
- Hilger 2015, p. 137.
- Hilger 2015, p. 203.
- Hilger 2015, p. 231.
- Hilger 2015, p. 298.
- Hilger 2015, p. 342.
- Stokes, Melvyn (January 15, 2008). D.W. Griffith's the Birth of a Nation: A History of the Most Controversial Motion Picture of All Time. Oxford University Press. p. 86. ISBN 9780199887514.
- Prats, A. J.; Jose, Amando (2002). Invisible Natives: Myth and Identity in the American Western. Cornell University Press. p. 293. ISBN 9780801487545.
- Graham 1985, p. 81.
- Graham 1985, p. 84.
- Graham 1985, p. 85.
- Lang, Robert; Griffith, David Wark (1994). Griffith, Dennison W. (ed.). The Birth of a Nation: D.W. Griffith, Director. Rutgers University Press. p. 303. ISBN 9780813520278.
- Usai, Paolo Cherchi; Bowser, Eileen (2007). The Griffith project: Selected writings of D. W. Griffith. Indexes and corrections to volumes 1-10. British Film Institute. p. 266. ISBN 9781844572328.
- Walker 2013, p. 251.
- Walker 2013, p. 257.
- Library of Congress (1923). Catalogue of Copyright Entries: Pamphlets, leaflets, contributions to newspapers or periodicals, etc.; lectures, sermons, addresses for oral delivery; dramatic compositions; maps; motion pictures. Part 1, group 2. 19. U.S. Government Printing Office.
- Graham, Cooper C. (1985). D.W. Griffith and the Biograph Company. Scarecrow Press. p. 333. ISBN 9780810818064.
- Hilger, Michael (October 16, 2015). Native Americans in the Movies: Portrayals from Silent Films to the Present. Rowman & Littlefield. p. 464. ISBN 9781442240025.
- Walker, Brent E. (April 25, 2013). Mack Sennett's Fun Factory: A History and Filmography of His Studio and His Keystone and Mack Sennett Comedies, with Biographies of Players and Personnel. McFarland Publishing. p. 671. ISBN 9780786477111.