Stanley Richard Chesler
|Senior Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey|
|Assumed office |
June 15, 2015
|Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey|
December 4, 2002 – June 15, 2015
|Appointed by||George W. Bush|
|Preceded by||Anne Elise Thompson|
|Succeeded by||Brian R. Martinotti|
|Magistrate Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey|
Stanley Richard Chesler
June 15, 1947
Brooklyn, New York
|Education||Binghamton University (B.A.)|
St. John's University School of Law (J.D.)
Stanley Richard Chesler (born June 15, 1947) is a Senior United States District Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey.
Education and career
Chesler graduated from Harpur College, now Binghamton University, in 1968, with a Bachelor of Arts degree, and St. John's University School of Law in 1974 with a Juris Doctor. He was an assistant district attorney in The Bronx from 1974–80, a federal prosecutor at the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of New Jersey from 1980–87, and a United States Magistrate Judge in New Jersey from 1987 until his appointment as a District Judge.
District court service
He was nominated by President George W. Bush on January 23, 2002, to a seat vacated by Judge Anne Elise Thompson and was confirmed by the United States Senate on November 14, 2002. Chesler received his commission on December 4, 2002 and was sworn in thereafter. He assumed senior status on June 15, 2015.
This section needs to be updated.June 2015)(
The class action lawsuit settlement SULLIVAN, vs. DB Investments is being administered in Chesler's court, and as of April 8, 2013, payout of the $107 million settlement to some 500,000 claimants is pending Chesler's signature.
- "Bush nominates three judges for federal bench in New Jersey, Magistrate Kugler of Camden could fill one of five total openings. The next stop: Senate panel". The Philadelphia Inquirer. August 3, 2002. p. B02.
- Inc., Rust Consulting,. "DeBeers Settlement".
- "Proposed order of settlement" (PDF).
- "MySettlementClaims News - De Beers Class Counsel Asks to Pay Consumer Subclass in Class Action Settlement".
- Stanley R. Chesler at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
Anne Elise Thompson
| Judge of the United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
Brian R. Martinotti