Main street of St George
|Population||2,395 (2016 census)|
|Elevation||200.8 m (659 ft)|
|LGA(s)||Shire of Balonne|
|Region||South West Queensland|
St George is a town and locality in the Shire of Balonne, Queensland, Australia. It is the administrative centre for the Shire of Balonne. In the 2016 census, St George had a population of 2,395 people.
St George is on the Balonne River which is reputedly an excellent fishing site for fish such as Yellowbelly and Murray Cod.
It sits at the junction of several highways including the Castlereagh Highway, the Moonie Highway, the Carnarvon Highway and the Balonne Highway. The only crossing of the Balonne River is the Andrew Nixon Bridge on the Balonne Highway.
At the 2011 census, St George had a population of 2,647. The St. George Standard and Balonne Advertiser newspaper was published from 1878 - 1879 and 1902 - 1904. The Balonne Beacon newspaper was published in St. George from January 2, 1909 to 29 December 1954.
Flooding once again occurred in February 2012. When there was a possibility of the river reaching 15 metres, about 2000 residents were mandatorily evacuated on 4 and 5 February to evacuation centres in Dalby and Brisbane. A temporary levee was built in St George on the morning of 5 February (Sunday). The Balonne River reached a height of 13.85 metres on Tuesday 7 February.
St George has the following heritage-listed sites:
Climate data for St George has been collected at the St George Post Office from 1881 to 1997.
St George gained national attention with the election of local accountant Barnaby Joyce to the Australian Senate following the 2004 federal election. It is also the hometown of National Rugby League player Dale Shearer.
St George has a visitor information centre, cultural centre, swimming pool, showground, bowling and the St George Golf Club. The address of the golf club is Wagoo Road. It was opened in 1948.
The town also has an airport, St George Airport.
St George State School is a government co-educational primary (P-6) school at 20-40 Grey Street. The school opened on 2 February 1874. In 2015, the school had an enrolment of 217 students with 24 teachers (22 full-time equivalent) and 15 non-teaching staff (12 full-time equivalent).
St George State High School is a government co-educational secondary (7-12) school at 2 Victoria Street. The school opened on 23 January 1978. In 2015, the school had an enrolment of 221 students with 25 teachers (22 full-time equivalent) and 24 non-teaching staff (17 full-time equivalent).
The St George show is celebrated every year over the Labour Day long weekend (weekend of the first Monday in May), Everyone is encouraged to go and locals have a great time sharing stories at the bar and watching the rodeo.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "St George (UCL)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 2 December 2017.
- "St George - town (entry 32064)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "St George - locality (entry 42683)". Queensland Place Names. Queensland Government. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "St George (Urban Centre/Locality)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 3 March 2009.
- "The St. George Standard and Balonne Advertiser (Qld. : 1878 - 1879; 1902 - 1904)". Trove. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Balonne Beacon (St. George, Qld. : 1909 - 1954)". Trove. Retrieved 24 January 2018.
- "Locals evacuated ahead of 120-year flood". ABC News. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 5 March 2010. Retrieved 20 March 2010.
- "Mandatory evacuations ordered for St George as 15m flood predicted". News.com.au. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- Caruana, Patrick; Paull, Nathan (7 February 2012). "Flood-hit Qld resident wait in frustration". Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "The Anchorage, St George (entry 600015)". Queensland Heritage Register. Queensland Heritage Council. Retrieved 5 September 2016.
- "Summary statistics: St George Post Office". Climate statistics for Australian locations. Australian Bureau of Meteorology. 18 April 2019. Retrieved 21 April 2019.
- "St George Golf Club". Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "St George". Centre for the Government of Queensland. Retrieved 12 December 2011.
- "St George Golf Club". Retrieved 6 November 2014.
- "Library location and hours". Balonne Shire Council. Retrieved 8 May 2017.
- "St George Library". Public Libraries Connect. State Library of Queensland. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Branch locations". Queensland Country Women's Association. Archived from the original on 26 December 2018. Retrieved 26 December 2018.
- "St George State School". St George State School. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "Opening and closing dates of Queensland Schools". Queensland Government. Retrieved 18 April 2019.
- "2015 School Annual Report" (PDF). St George State School. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "St George State High School". St George State High School. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
- "2015 School Annual Report" (PDF). St George State High School. Retrieved 29 January 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St George, Queensland.|
- University of Queensland: Queensland Places: St George
- "Climate statistics for St George". Australian Bureau of Meteorology.
- St George's New Website 2006
- Balonne Shire Council
- Fairfax Digital — St. George
- George Community Profile St George Community Profile