|St George's Church, Morebath|
St George's Church, Morebath
|Denomination||Church of England|
|Founded||Tower built before 1300|
|Heritage designation||Grade II* listed|
|Architect(s)||William Butterfield (rebuild 1874-1875)|
|Deanery||Tiverton and Cullompton|
|Diocese||Diocese of Exeter|
|Rector||The Revd Kevin Chandra|
St George's Church, Morebath is a Grade II* listed parish church in the Church of England Diocese of Exeter in Morebath, Devon. It is part of the Hukeley Mission group of parishes, which also includes St Michael & All Angels Bampton, St Peter's in Clayhanger, St Petrock's in Petton and All Saint's in Huntsham.
The church dates from the 13th century but much is from the 15th century.
The church was restored by William Butterfield between 1874 and 1875.
The role of the parish church in Morebath in the 16th century is described in Eamon Duffy's book The Voices of Morebath. Further insight into life in the village and church are provided by the handwritten records of the Revd. Christopher Trychay (Vicar from 1520 to 1574).
The organ is by William Hill and Son and dates from 1874. A specification of the organ can be found on the National Pipe Organ Register.
- The Buildings of England: Devon. Nikolaus Pevsner.
- "Hukeley Mission". Hukeley Mission Community website.
- The Voices of Morebath: Reformation and Rebellion in an English Village. Yale University Press, 2001. ISBN 0-300-09185-0)
- The Accounts of the Wardens of the Parish of Morebath, Devon, Devon Notes & Queries. Rev. J. Erskine Binney, 1904
- "The National Pipe Organ Register - NPOR". npor.org.uk.