|Spring Break Challenge|
|Genre||Reality game show|
|Created by||Mary-Ellis Bunim|
|Presented by||T. J. Lavin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of series||1|
|No. of episodes||5|
|Production locations||Acapulco, Mexico|
|Running time||60 minutes (including commercials)|
|Production company||Bunim/Murray Productions|
|Picture format||16:9 HD|
|Original release||March 22 –|
March 26, 2010
Spring Break Challenge is a one-off MTV reality game show spun off from MTV's long-running reality game show, The Challenge. The spin-off series was somewhat cast-contestant dependent on The Challenge in that the Spring Break Challenge used various contestants from the precursor program. (To date, The Challenge has only used one contestant from Spring Break Challenge.) Spring Break Challenge is also cast-contestant dependent on MTV's two flagship reality programs, The Real World and the now cancelled series Road Rules. As with The Challenge, T. J. Lavin was the host of Spring Break Challenge.
The program aired from March 22–26, 2010 in Acapulco, Mexico (prior to the airing of The Challenge's 19th season), during MTV's annual spring break coverage. This spin-off featured teams of college-aged friends in various challenges of old and new based on previous seasons of The Challenge. The Spring Break Challenge cast was made up of original contestants from colleges across the country, as well as alumni from previous seasons of The Real World, Road Rules, and the Fresh Meat challenge serving as coaches.
|Team leader||Original season||Finish|
|Susie Meister||Road Rules: Down Under||Winner|
|Kenny Santucci||Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Fresh Meat||Runner-Up|
|Wes Bergmann||The Real World: Austin||Third Place|
|Darrell Taylor||Road Rules: Campus Crawl||Episode 4|
|Landon Lueck||The Real World: Philadelphia||Episode 3|
|Evelyn Smith||Real World/Road Rules Challenge: Fresh Meat||Episode 2|
|Rachel Robinson||Road Rules: Campus Crawl||Episode 1|
Previous challenges used
- Melt with You: Each crew must melt away an ice block to get to a key that unlocks a box containing puzzle pieces. The first team to get their key and solve their puzzle wins the challenge. Challenge from the Battle of the Sexes 2.
- Oh Ring: A player from each team tries to wrestle a ring away from their opponent, while suspended above the ground from their feet. The first team to wrestle three rings away from their opponents wins. Challenge from The Ruins.
- Turntable: Each crew must hold onto a rope on a giant spinning record against another team's crew. The last crew member standing wins the heat for their team, and the team that stays on the longest wins the entire challenge. Challenge from The Gauntlet.
- Dangle Drop: Players are hung from a punching bag in the air and hold on until they fall off. The last player standing wins the elimination round for their crew. Challenge from the Battle of the Sexes 2.
- Bird Feeder: Each crew member will put on a chicken suit and grab a mouthful of bird feed and meal worms and deposit it into a tube makeshifted in the shape of a chick. The team that has the most grams of bird feed wins the challenge. Challenge from The Inferno.
- Pole Wrestle: Players are placed at the center of a circle and are asked to place both hands on a wooden pole approximately two feet (0.6 meter) in length. The first contestant to wrestle the pole out of his or her opponent's hands wins the heat. The first three out of five crew members to win stays in the game. Challenge from The Duel.
- Balls In: Each crew member will try to run past an opposing player and get a ball into a tube, earning a point for their team. The team that reaches five points will win their respective heats and the team that gets to five the fastest will win the challenge. Challenge from The Inferno II.
- Unbraided: Each team member is going to be connected to a rope that's woven into other crew members' ropes. Each crew member must unravel each other by going through each teammate's rope. The first team to "unbraid" themselves and drop their rings will win for their team. Challenge from The Inferno 3.
- Hodge Podge (Spool, Bizarre Buffet & The Elevator): In a mixture of three different challenges, two crew members had to untangle themselves from a series of ropes intertwined through a bar maze, then two other crew members had to eat a delicacy consisting of hot chili peppers and sheep testicles, then the last crew member had to pulley themselves up an elevator and ring the bell. The first team to ring the bell wins the challenge while the last place team is eliminated. Challenges from The Ruins and The Duel II.
- Assembly Required: Each team will disassemble a pyramid, transport the pieces to another location and reassemble the pieces again. The team that completes their pyramid and plants their flag will win the challenge. Challenge from The Gauntlet III.
|Episode||Winning team||Last-place teams||Elimination game||Elimination outcome|
|#||Challenge||Winning team||Losing team|
|1||Melt With You||Team Kenny||Team Evelyn||Team Rachel||Oh Ring||Team Evelyn||Team Rachel|
|2||Turntable||Team Kenny||Team Evelyn||Team Susie||Dangle Drop||Team Susie||Team Evelyn|
|3||Bird Feeder||Team Susie||Team Landon||Team Wes||Pole Wrestle||Team Wes||Team Landon|
|4||Balls In||Team Susie||Team Darrell||Team Wes||Unbraided||Team Wes||Team Darrell|
|5||Hodge Podge||Team Kenny||N/A[a]||Team Wes|
|Assembly Required||Team Susie||2nd Place: Team Kenny|
- The team won the competition.
- The team did not win the competition.
- The team won the challenge that week.
- The team was not selected to go into the elimination round.
- The team won in the elimination round.
- The team lost in the elimination round and was eliminated.
- The team came in last place in the challenge and was automatically eliminated.
- ‡ The team's coach won the coaches challenge, which gave their team an advantage in the challenge.
|No.||Title||Original air date|
|1||"I'll Stop The World and Melt With You"||March 22, 2010|
|2||"You Spin Me Right Round"||March 23, 2010|
|3||"Five Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"||March 24, 2010|
|4||"Balls of Glory"||March 25, 2010|
|5||"The Final Enchilada"||March 26, 2010|
Most Memorable Player
A short segment was held by Paula and Evan on who they thought was the most memorable player of each challenge. Camila of Team Susie won this honor twice for licking a sandy piece of ice and freaking out after eating chili peppers.
|1||Camila||Licking a frozen key that was covered in sand.|
|2||Hector||Despite being a muscular player, fell short in an endurance competition.|
|3||Lauren||Continuously held onto the chicken tube after being warned several times and got disqualified.|
|4||Jamil||Dominated the Balls In challenge with quick footwork.|
|5||Camila||Essentially freaking out after consuming red hot chili peppers and requiring medical assistance.|
Contestants later appearing in Challenge seasons
|Name||Challenges||Challenges Won||Total Money Earned|
|Camila Nakagawa||Cutthroat, Rivals, Battle of the Exes, Battle of the Seasons (2012), Rivals II, Free Agents,
Battle of the Bloodlines, Rivals III, Invasion of the Champions, XXX: Dirty 30
|Battle of the Exes, XXX: Dirty 30||$561,250|
|Champs vs. Pros, Champs vs. Stars 2||Spring Break Challenge||$6,000|
- Challenge in bold indicates that the contestant was a finalist on The Challenge.
- No elimination round was held in the finale. Instead, the last-place team was eliminated.
- "Spring Break 2010 at MTV.com".
- "Spring Break Challenge Episode 1 "I'll Stop The World and Melt With You" – Video at MTV.com".
- "Spring Break Challenge Episode 2 "You Spin Me Right Round" – Video at MTV.com".
- "Spring Break Challenge Episode 3 "Five Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" – Video at MTV.com".
- "Spring Break Challenge Episode 4 "Balls of Glory" – Video at MTV.com".
- "Spring Break Challenge Episode 5 "The Final Enchilada" – Video at MTV.com".