Sporting equipment, also called sporting goods, are the tools, materials, apparel, and gear used to compete in a sport and varies depending on the sport. The equipment ranges from balls, to nets, and to protective gear like helmets. Sporting equipment can be used as protective gear or as tool used to help the athletes play the sport. Over time, sporting equipment has evolved because sports have started to require more protective gear to prevent injuries. Sporting equipment may be found in any department store.
The ball is often what a sport requires and revolves around. A sports ball is typically round, but can also be in the sha such as association football, American football, baseball and basketball, or the ball is named after the sport. Other cases are the Gaelic football. In other cases, the name of the sport is indicated, just as the cricket ball, golf ball, lacrosse ball or [[water polo ball].
In many games, goal posts are at each end of the playing field, there are two vertical posts (or uprights) supporting a horizontal crossbar. In some games, such as football, hockey or water polo, the object is to pass the ball or puck between the posts below the crossbar, while in others, such as those based on rugby, the ball must pass over the crossbar instead.
Rods and tackle
Sticks, bats and clubs
Wickets and bases
Footwear for sports includes:
- Boards for surfing, skateboarding, wakeboarding and snowboarding
- Skates for sports like roller skating and ice skating
- Skis for skiing and water skiing
- Football boots
- Cricket spikes
- Golf shoes
- Track spikes
- Prosthetics like the Cheetah Flex-Foot running blade
- Running shoes
- Walking shoes
- Flat pedal shoes and clipless shoes for mountain biking
Protective equipment is often worn for sports including motor sport and contact sports, such as ice hockey and American football or sports where there is a danger of injury through collision of players or other objects. Protective equipment includes:
- Football helmet
- Jock strap
- Shin pads
- Ski suits
- Elbow pads
- Shoulder pads
- Bicycle helmet
- Sports gloves
Examples for training equipment include swiss balls, weights, chin-up bars, equipment for the gym. Also protective equipment such as weight lifting belts and bench shirts for weight training and powerlifting.
- Category:Sports equipment (various sports)
- [[:Category:Sports and gym equipment]] (reeha shop bd)
- Association football clothing and equipment
- Baseball clothing and equipment
- Climbing equipment
- Cricket clothing and equipment
- Golf equipment
- Gridiron football equipment
- Ice hockey equipment
- Rugby shirt
- Snowboarding equipment
- Triathlon equipment
History and development of sports
Historically many sports have developed their sporting equipment over time. For instance, the use of a football dates back to ancient China, between 225 BC and 220 AD. As football remains the most popular sport in the 21st century, the material of the ball has completely changed over the centuries; from being made out of animal skin, to being lined with multiple layers of polyester or cotton.
As the sporting equipment industry improves, so does the athletes performance. This is due to the fact that the equipment is more efficient, lighter and stronger it forming a bio-mechanical system, interacting with the athlete.
Since the massive adoption of wearable, new sport equipment tend to be electronics and connected to deliver data performances.
- Medical School, Harward (October 1, 2013), 10 tips to prevent injuries when you exercise, Harward Health Publishing
- Stefanyshyn, Darren J.; Wannop, John W. (2015). "Biomechanics research and sport equipment development". Sports Engineering. 18 (4): 191–202. doi:10.1007/s12283-015-0183-5. S2CID 109120639.
Media related to Sports equipment at Wikimedia Commons