|Born||January 31, 1937|
|Occupation||Music critic, |
opera general director
|Spouse(s)||Linda Sands (2 children)|
Speight Jenkins Jr. (born January 31, 1937) is a classical music critic and music administrator. He was the general director of Seattle Opera from 1983 to 2014.
Early life and education
Jenkins, a native of Dallas, Texas, is the son of Speight Jenkins Sr. and Sara Baird Jenkins. His parents took him to his first opera at the age of 7, and he fell immediately in love with the art form. His B.A. degree is from the University of Texas at Austin, and he graduated in 1961 from Columbia Law School.
Jenkins served in the U.S. Army as a member of the Judge Advocate General’s Corps, and afterwards became a music critic and journalist. He worked for seven years at Opera News as its news and reports editor, and later at the New York Post from 1973 to 1981 as music critic. He has been a host for U.S. television's Live from the Metropolitan Opera and a guest speaker on the Metropolitan Opera radio broadcasts.
Tenure at Seattle Opera
In the early 1980s, Jenkins was a guest lecturer at Seattle Opera for the company's production of Richard Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen. His knowledge impressed the Seattle Opera board of trustees, such that they offered him the post of general director of the company and he began his tenure in that post with the company in 1983. His contract was extended for another ten years, and in 2003, he signed another 10-year extension to his contract.
At Seattle Opera he has produced two complete cycles of Wagner's Ring, the first one directed by François Rochais and the second one by Stephen Wadsworth. He also produced new productions of the other six frequently produced Wagner operas, as well as new productions of Prokofiev's War and Peace, Debussy's Pelléas et Mélisande, Dvorak's Rusalka, Bellini's Norma, Gluck's Orfeo ed Euridice and Iphigénie en Tauride, four Strauss operas, many by Verdi and Puccini, plus several contemporary works. In 2010 Seattle Opera commissioned and gave the world premiere of Amelia, by Daron Hagen.
Jenkins has written an art book, Pelleas + Melisande + Chihuly, and narrated a 4-CD commentary called Enjoying Wagner's Ring of the Nibelung with Speight Jenkins.
Jenkins and his wife, the former Linda Sands, have two children, Linda Leonie Jenkins and Speight Jenkins III.
- Melinda Bargreen (20 October 1991). "Sara Jenkins: A Life Of Music". Seattle Times. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- Melinda Bargreen (15 July 1996). "Sara Baird Jenkins, Activist, Grande Dame Of Seattle Opera". Seattle Times. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- "Speight Jenkins Named Seattle Opera Director". New York Times. 21 December 1982. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- Speight Jenkins (1 September 2002). "Speight Jenkins: My ultimate summer concert..." Seattle Times. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- Melinda Bargreen (30 December 1996). "Seattle Opera's Jenkins' Personal Tour Of The 'Ring'". Seattle Times. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- Melinda Bargreen (15 August 2003). "Speight Jenkins: Champion of the opera". Seattle Times. Retrieved 2007-09-13.
- "Aidan Lang To Become Seattle Opera's Third General Director" (Press release). Retrieved 20 June 2013.
- "NEA Chairman Rocco Landesman Announces Recipients of the 2011 NEA Opera Honors". National Endowment for the Arts. 2011-06-24. Archived from the original on 2011-10-25.
- "NEC Honorary Doctor of Music Degree".
- Melinda Bargreen (2 August 2014), "Speight Jenkins: Gracefully bowing out of Seattle Opera", The Seattle Times at seattletimes.com