The examples and perspective in this article may not represent a worldwide view of the subject. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article or section appears to be slanted towards recent events. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Spanish unionism is a term used by the Basque nationalism and Catalan independence movements to refer to the political attitude which opposes the Catalan independence movement favours the continuity of the Kingdom of Spain as a single united nation-state.
The adoption of the term unionism into the Spanish context and its loaded usage with negative connotation relates to attempts to draw parallels with the Orange Order of the Unionist movement in Ireland.
Spanish unionism is considered by Basque and Catalan nationalist parties as a political ideology identified by its denial of the exercise of the right of self-determination of the peripheral nationalities of Spain or sometimes by the simple defense of Spain as a nation. Therefore, the label has been applied to parties such as the People's Party, Spanish Socialist Workers Party (PSOE) (however, sometimes PSOE is seen as more sympathetic to Spain's nationalist movements), Union, Progress and Democracy (UPYD) and Citizens-Party of the Citizenry (C's).
- Anarchism in Spain
- Iberian federalism
- National and regional identity in Spain
- Republicanism in Spain
- Spanish nationalism
- ¿Unionista es un insulto? Breve glosario para seguir las discusiones sobre el procés Published in El País, 29 September 2017, retrieved June 15, 2018
- (in Spanish) "Una entidad afin a CDC divide a los catalanes entre unionistas e independentistas" ABC (Spain). Retrieved 24 May 2013
- (in Spanish) "El PNV defiende la autodeterminación y descalifica al PSE en el Aberri Eguna" El País (Spain). Retrieved 24 May 2013
- (in Spanish) "Otegi llama 'gusanos' y 'unionistas' a los manifestantes contra ETA" El País (Spain). Retrieved 24 May 2013
- (in Spanish) "El PNV defiende el derecho de autodeterminación frente al proyecto del unionismo de crear una España uniforme" Europa Press. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- (in Spanish) "Basagoiti: "El PP vasco busca enfrentarse al nacionalismo, no al PSE-EE" Diario de Sevilla. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- (in Spanish) "El PNV defiende el derecho de autodeterminación frente al unionismo que propugna el PSE y el PP" Diario La Rioja. Retrieved 24 May 2013
- (in Spanish) "Los senadores valencianos del PSOE firman una declaración en defensa del catalán" El Mundo. Retrieved 24 May 2013.