Janklow: 50-60% 60-70% 70-80%McKellips: 50–60% 60–70% 80–90%
The 1978 South Dakota gubernatorial election was held on November 7, 1978, to elect a Governor of South Dakota. Republican nominee Bill Janklow was elected, defeating Democratic nominee Roger D. McKellips.
|Democratic||Harvey L. Wollman (Incumbent)||32,690||46.97|
- Bill Janklow, Attorney General of South Dakota
- LeRoy G. Hoffman, member of the South Dakota Senate
- Clint Roberts, member of the South Dakota Senate
|Republican||LeRoy G. Hoffman||30,026||32.92|
|Democratic||Roger D. McKellips||112,679||43.37|
|Republican gain from Democratic|
- "SD Governor - D Primary". Our Campaigns. April 27, 2008. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Official Election Results for South Dakota" (PDF). South Dakota Secretary of State. 1978. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "SD Governor - R Primary". Our Campaigns. April 27, 2008. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- Leip, David (May 27, 2008). "1978 Gubernatorial General Election Results - South Dakota". Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "Official Election Results By Counties for the State of South Dakota" (PDF). South Dakota Secretary of State. 1978. Retrieved June 5, 2014.