South Amboy station in April 2015.
|Location||137 N Broadway |
South Amboy, NJ 08879
|Owned by||New Jersey Transit|
|Platforms||1 island platform|
|Connections||NJT Bus: 815 and 817|
|Electrified||12 kV 25 Hz until 2002|
25 kV AC since then
|Passengers (2012)||1,050 (average weekday)|
South Amboy is a station on NJ Transit's North Jersey Coast Line located in South Amboy, New Jersey, United States. The station is 2½ miles south of Perth Amboy station and 5 miles northwest of Aberdeen-Matawan station. Electric trains from the north started terminating here in 1938, and many still do. This station is located at grade level on Mason Street, and has a high-level island platform serving two tracks.
South Amboy station has been upgraded for full ADA access. Phase One of the project included the building of a new pedestrian overpass allowing safe transfers across the two tracks at the station. The bridge cost a total of $4.8M when it opened on 14 March 2005.
The second engineering and construction phase consisted of replacing the two original low-level side platforms with a new ADA-accessible high-level island platform and a reconstruction of the current station building. Among the new improvements to the station are a new ticket office, canopies, lighting, and signage. The cost of the new platform and station amenities amounts to $29M. The second phase of improvements was completed on January 5, 2010.
|M||Overpass||Connection between platform and station building, parking|
|Track 1||← North Jersey Coast Line toward Long Branch or Bay Head (Aberdeen – Matawan)|
|Island platform, doors will open on the left|
|Track 2||North Jersey Coast Line toward Hoboken or New York (Perth Amboy) →|
- "North Jersey Coast Timetables" (PDF). Newark, New Jersey: New Jersey Transit Rail Operations. November 7, 2010. Retrieved November 27, 2010.
- "QUARTERLY RIDERSHIP TRENDS ANALYSIS" (PDF). New Jersey Transit. December 27, 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on December 27, 2012. Retrieved December 27, 2012.
- NJ Transit opens pedestrian overpass at South Amboy station Progressive Railroading
- NJ Transit proceeds with Penn, South Amboy station projects Progressive Railroading
- Passenger Railroads' MOW plans Progressive Railroading
- "Officials Mark Completion of South Amboy Station Improvements" (Press release). New Jersey Transit. January 5, 2010. Retrieved February 14, 2010.
Media related to South Amboy (NJT station) at Wikimedia Commons