|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, film producer|
Souheil Ben-Barka (born 25 December 1942) is a Moroccan film director, screenwriter and film producer. He directed seven films between 1974 and 2002. His 1975 film La guerre du pétrole n'aura pas lieu was entered into the 9th Moscow International Film Festival. His 1983 film Amok won the Golden Prize at the 13th Moscow International Film Festival. In 1987 he was a member of the jury at the 15th Moscow International Film Festival.
He was born in 1942 in Timbuktu, Mali. His father was a rich Moroccan merchant, and his mother was of Lebanese origin, her mother was of Armenian descent. He left Timbuktu at the age of 16. He spent a few years in Morocco before going to finish his higher education at Rome, Italy. One day in 1962, he happened to attend a film shooting on the street, the Italian filmmaker Federico Fellini was directing 8½. After this he decided to devote himself to the filmmaking. He studied sociology and got a Bachelor's degree, then he studied at the Centro sperimentale di cinematografia in Rome.
|1972||A Thousand and One Hands||Yes||Yes||No|
|1975||La guerre du pétrole n'aura pas lieu||Yes||Yes||No|
|1982||Amok||Yes||Yes||No||Co-writer with Michel Constantin and François Rabaté|
|1990||The Battle of the Three Kings||Yes||Yes||No||Co-director with Uchkun Nazarov|
|1996||L’Ombre du pharaon||Yes||Yes||No||Co-writer with Adriano Bolzoni|
|2002||Les amants de Mogador||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-writer with Bernard Stora|
Co-producer with Andrea De Liberato
|2019||De sable et de feu||Yes||Yes||Yes||Co-writer with Monica Giansanti and Bernard Stora|
Co-producer with Marco Gaudenzi
- "Souheil Ben-Barka". mubi. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "9th Moscow International Film Festival (1975)". MIFF. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "13th Moscow International Film Festival (1983)". MIFF. Retrieved 30 January 2013.
- "15th Moscow International Film Festival (1987)". MIFF. Retrieved 18 February 2013.
- Oudrhiri, Kaouthar (11 October 2019). "Souheil Ben Barka "Je dirigeais le CCM comme je l'entendais, aujourd'hui les choses ont changé"". Telquel. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- Barlet, Olivier (17 September 2019). "De sable et de feu (le rêve impossible !), de Souheil Ben Barka". Africultures. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- de Rochebrune, Renaud (26 September 2019). "Cinéma : Souheil Ben Barka en son royaume". Jeune Afrique. Retrieved 17 December 2019.
- Armes, Roy (2008). Dictionary of African Filmmakers. Indiana University Press. p. 44. ISBN 978-0-253-35116-6.
- Brière, Jean-François (2008). Dictionnaire des cinéastes africains de long métrage (in French). KARTHALA Editions. p. 55. ISBN 978-2-8111-4250-6.