This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Directed by||Roger Corman|
|Produced by||Roger Corman|
|Written by||Leo Lieberman|
|Music by||Ronald Stein|
|Distributed by||American International Pictures|
Sorority Girl (also known as Sorority House or The Bad One) is a 1957 film noir exploitation film directed by Roger Corman. It stars Susan Cabot as Sabra, a sociopath who plays a very disruptive role in a sorority, with Barboura Morris as Rita, and Dick Miller and June Kenney. It was released by American International Pictures as a double feature with Motorcycle Gang.
In England it was known as The Bad One.
The film was remade in 1994 as Confessions of a Sorority Girl.
Susan Cabot later recalled working on Corman films:
We would have some sort of a script, but there was a lot of, “Who’s going to say what?” and “How ’bout I do this?’ ’ — plenty of ad-libbing and improvising. But Roger was really great in a way; he was very loose. If something didn’t work out, he changed it right away. He gave me a great amount of freedom , and also a chance to play parts that Universal would never have given me — oddball, wacko parts, like the very disturbed girl in Sorority Girl. I had a chance to do moments and scenes that I didn’t get before.
Corman says while filming he made Cabot do an emotional scene in medium shot first, then when it was time to do a close up, Cabot's performance was not as strong. Corman says this prompted him to learn more about acting, so he enrolled in acting classes given by Jeff Corey, where he would meet people like Jack Nicholson and Robert Towne.
The CSM said it had a "sad hodgepodge of a story".
- Sanders, Don and Susan (1997). The American Drive-In Movie Theatre. Motorbooks International. p. 121. ISBN 0-7603-0425-4.
- BAD ONE, The Monthly Film Bulletin; London Vol. 25, Iss. 288, (Jan 1, 1958): 60.
- Ed. J. Philip di Franco, The Movie World of Roger Corman, Chelsea House Publishers, 1979 p 10
- MOVIELAND EVENTS: Screen Writing Gets Remarque Attention Los Angeles Times 5 July 1957: A5.
- Weaver, Tom (2004). "The Saga of a Corman Stock Player". Cult Movies. No. 41. pp. 52–59.
- "Wasps! Vikings! Sea Serpents!". Fangoria. No. 52. 1986.
- Corman, Roger; Jerome, Jim (1998). How I made a hundred movies in Hollywood and never lost a dime. Da Capo Press. pp. 42–43.
- Gary A. Smith, American International Pictures: The Golden Years, Bear Manor Media 2013 p 64
- Romances of Cycle Hounds Told in Film C S. Los Angeles Times 22 Nov 1957: B12.
- 'Sorority Girl' At Paramount N.E.T. The Christian Science Monitor 12 Dec 1957: 8.
- Sorority Girl on IMDb
- Sorority Girl at AllMovie
- Sorority Girl at Rotten Tomatoes
- Review from hotspotonline.com
|This 1950s drama film-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This exploitation film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|