June 23, 1986
Kalaheo, Hawaii, U.S.
|Title||Miss Hawaii Teen USA 2004|
|Beauty pageant titleholder|
|Miss Teen USA 2004 (1st runner-up)|
Early life and education
Balmores was born to a Filipino father and a mother of Irish and Native American descent. She attended Kalaheo Elementary School and graduated from Kauai High School. She was a visual communications student at Hawaii Pacific University.
Balmores won the Miss Hawaii Teen USA title on May 16, 2004 at the Waikiki Sheraton Resort. Balmores represented Hawaii in the Miss Teen USA 2004 pageant held in Palm Springs, California on August 6, 2004. She placed first runner-up in the pageant, which was won by Miss Louisiana Teen USA Shelley Hennig. This was Hawaii's highest placement in the pageant since Kelly Hu won in 1985.
Balmores played the series regular role Kai Kealoha in Beyond the Break on The N, a series previously given the tentative title Boarding School. She also played the main antagonist, Malina Birch, in the 2011 film Soul Surfer. In 2014, she guest starred on Hawaii Five-0 as tour bus robber Alana Duncunin the episode " Kanalu Hope Loa" or "The Last Break" in English. In 2017, Balmores was cast in the series Inhumans as Auran.
|2008||Ride the Wake||Katelynn||Short film|
|2011||Soul Surfer||Malina Birch|
|2018||Den of Thieves||Malia|
|2003||The Break||Nani||TV movie|
|2005||Rocky Point||Tattooed Girl||Episode: "Pilot"|
|2006–2009||Beyond the Break||Lanikai 'Kai' Kealoha||Main role|
|2014||Hawaii Five-0||Alana Duncan||Episode: "Kanalu Hope Loa"|
|2016||A Midsummer's Hawaiian Dream||Tanya McQueen||TV movie|
|2016||NCIS||Metro PD Officer Sandra Cornell||Episode: "Home of the Brave"|
|2016||Option Zero||Emily||TV movie|
|2017||Inhumans||Auran||Recurring role, 8 episodes|
|2018||Lucifer||Wild Child||Episode: "All About Her"|
|2019||Roswell, New Mexico||Arizona||Season 1 Episode 9: "Songs About Texas"|
|2019||Tom Clancy's The Division 2||Alani Kelso|
- "When You're Hot… Sonya Balmores is definitely hot after appearing on the covers of three magazines and being cast in a new TV show". Midweek. 2005-09-14.
- "Sonya Balmores, Star of "Marvel's Inhumans," is a Confident Warrior Woman On-Screen and Off". Mochi Magazine. Retrieved 21 April 2018.
- Curtis, Paul (2004-05-18). "Sonya Balmores sweeps to Miss Hawaii Teen USA title". Kauai Garden Island News. Retrieved 2007-02-18.
- "Pageant title goes to HPU grad student". Hawaii Star-Bulletin. 2004-06-20. Retrieved 2007-02-18.
- "Isle teen second in national pageant". Hawaii Star-Bulletin. 2004-08-07. Retrieved 2007-02-18.
- Ryan, Tim (2005-10-14). "Dream set rolls in: Hawaii's newest TV series is a rare chance for many of the crew". Hawaii Star-Bulletin. Retrieved 2007-02-18.
- Petski, Denise (March 3, 2017). "'Marvel's Inhumans': Eme Ikwuakor, Isabelle Cornish, Mike Moh, More Round Out Cast". Deadline Hollywood. Archived from the original on March 3, 2017. Retrieved March 3, 2017.