Son Lux in 2016
|Origin||New York, United States|
|Labels||Glassnote Records, Joyful Noise Recordings, Anticon|
|Associated acts||Sisyphus, Lorde, Boots, Woodkid|
Son Lux is a band founded by Ryan Lott and consisting of him, Rafiq Bhatia, and Ian Chang. Son Lux has released four LP's At War with Walls & Mazes (2008), We Are Rising (2011), Lanterns (2013), and Bones (2015).
The second Son Lux album, We Are Rising, was released on Anticon in 2011. It was recorded in 28 days for the RPM Challenge and was described by Consequence of Sound as "the dark, operatic middle ground between Owen Pallett and In Rainbows-era Radiohead or Wild Beasts' fantastic, operatic heights."
Son Lux signed with Joyful Noise Recordings in May 2013, the same month that his "haunting rendition" of Black Water was featured in JNR's flexi-series. Simultaneous with the announcement that Son Lux would be joining Joyful Noise, TEAR, a conceptual 7" featuring one new song in two distinct parts was released. The album Lanterns was released on October 29, 2013. The album includes vocals from then label-mate Cat Martino of Stranger Cat. The lead single "Lost It To Trying" was immediately named one of Pitchfork's Best New Tracks.
In 2014, Son Lux released the EP Alternate Worlds, which contained re-imagined songs from Lanterns, including a version of "Easy" with vocals by Lorde. In later 2014, Glassnote Records announced worldwide signing of Son Lux. In 2015 Ryan Lott of Son Lux was featured on The Art Assignment in a project that invites viewers to work collaboratively around music that he wrote for the program.
In 2015 his song "Lost it to Trying" was featured in the Leander High School's Marching Production "Choral Works" and the following year with "Weapons II and V" in the Production "The Fourth Dimension".
On December 15, 2017, a song titled "Eazy" by hip-hop artist G-Eazy was released featuring Son Lux. The sampled audio was Son Lux's song "Easy", which gained a lot of traction via YouTube with 38+ million views.
- At War with Walls & Mazes (Anticon, 2008)
- We Are Rising (Anticon, 2011)
- Lanterns (Joyful Noise, 2013)
- Sisyphus (Asthmatic Kitty/Joyful Noise, 2014) (with Serengeti & Sufjan Stevens, as Sisyphus)
- Bones (Glassnote, 2015)
- Brighter Wounds (City Slang, 2018)
- Weapons (Anticon, 2010)
- Beak & Claw (Anticon, 2012) (with Serengeti & Sufjan Stevens, as S / S / S)
- Alternate Worlds (Joyful Noise, 2014)
- Stranger Forms (Joyful Noise, 2016)
- Remedy (Joyful Noise, 2017)
- Tear (7", Joyful Noise Recordings 2013)
- Black Waters (flexi-disc series, Joyful Noise Recordings 2013. Black Waters is based on a tune of the same name by American folk singer Jean Ritchie)
- WinterSpringSummerFall 2014 a mixtape released by Boots (musician) which featured Son Lux on the track Troubled World
- Brown, Marisa. "Son Lux". Allmusic.
- Fitzmauriceon, Larry (March 28, 2011). "New Release: Son Lux: We Are Rising". Pitchfork Media.
- Kivel, Adam. "Album Review: Son Lux - We Are Rising". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved 2013-10-24.
- "Son Lux Signs with Joyful Noise". Joyfulnoiserecordings.com. Retrieved May 15, 2013.
- "Stranger Cat // In The Wilderness". Joyful Noise Recordings. Retrieved 2015-08-16.
- Greene, Jayson. ""Lost It To Trying"[Best New Track]". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 20 September 2013.
- "Announcing...Son Lux "Alternate Worlds"". Joyful Noise Recordings. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- Martins, Chris (4 March 2014). "Lorde and Son Lux Collaborate on Menacing 'Easy (Switch Screens)'". Spin. Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "Alternate Worlds – EP". United States: iTunes Store (Apple). Retrieved 6 March 2014.
- "GLASSNOTE RECORDS ANNOUNCE SIGNING OF SON LUX". Glassnote Records. Retrieved 17 December 2014.
- "Collaborate With Son Lux - Ryan Lott". The Art Assignment. PBS Digital Studios. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- Gordon, Jeremy. "Son Lux Announce New Album Bones". Pitchfork News. Pitchfork. Retrieved 12 May 2015.
- Oliphint, Joel (June 23, 2015). "Son Lux: Bones". pitchfork.com. Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2015-06-26.
- "Woodkid and Friends at Montreux Jazz Festival".
- "Son Lux Signs". Joyfulnoiserecordings.com. Retrieved 2015-07-27.
- "Son Lux//Black Waters". Joyfulnoiserecordings.com. Retrieved 2015-07-27.