|Something to Talk About|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lasse Hallström|
|Written by||Callie Khouri|
|Edited by||Mia Goldman|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
|Box office||$77.3 million (worldwide)|
Something to Talk About is a 1995 American comedy-drama film directed by Lasse Hallström, from a screenplay written by Callie Khouri. It stars Julia Roberts and Dennis Quaid as an estranged couple, Kyra Sedgwick as Roberts' sister, and Robert Duvall and Gena Rowlands as their parents.
Grace (Julia Roberts) discovers that her husband, Eddie (Dennis Quaid), is having an affair with another woman. After a wildly public confrontation with Eddie and his mistress, Grace packs up their daughter and returns home to her parents' horse farm to regroup. To her surprise and dismay, everyone around her is still mired in old fashioned ideals and believes she should forgive and forget Eddie's indiscretion. Her sister, Emma Rae (Kyra Sedgwick), who is furious at Eddie and lets him know it, is also unwilling to let Grace pretend this has come out of nowhere, or that she did not make choices that led to her current predicament. Eddie, too, confronts Grace about her withdrawal from their life, or his feelings of abandonment after what started out as an affectionate, loving marriage. Her father (Robert Duvall) feels the whole affair is dragging focus from an upcoming horse-jumping competition, but he and Grace's mother, Georgia (Gena Rowlands), face their own set of problems with fidelity.
- Julia Roberts as Grace King Bichon-wife of Eddie, mother of Caroline, youngest daughter of Wyly and Georgia and younger sister of Emma Rae. She is very upset and devastated when she discovers her husband is cheating on her.
- Dennis Quaid as Eddie Bichon-husband of Grace, father of Caroline, son-in-law of Wyly and Georgia, and brother-in-law of Emma Rae. He cheats on his wife Grace with a blond woman.
- Robert Duvall as Wyly King-father of Grace and Emma Rae, husband of Georgia, father-in-law of Eddie, and maternal grandfather of Caroline. Owns a horse farm.
- Kyra Sedgwick as Emma Rae King-oldest daughter of Wyly and Georgia, older sister of Grace, aunt of Caroline, and sister-in-law of Eddie. When she finds her brother-in-law Eddie is cheating on her sister Grace she kicks him in the balls to teach him a lesson.
- Gena Rowlands as Georgia King-wife of Wyly, mother of Grace and Emma Rae, maternal grandmother of Caroline, and mother-in-law of Eddie.
- Haley Aull as Caroline "Doodlebug" Bichon-daughter of Eddie and Grace, maternal granddaughter of Wyly and Georgia, and niece of Emma Rae. She loves horses dearly.
The film received mixed reviews. Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 39% of critics, based on a sample of 28 critics, gave a positive review. The average rating from these critics is 5.4/10.
Kyra Sedgwick was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role.
- "Something to Talk About (15)". British Board of Film Classification. September 5, 1995. Retrieved November 1, 2016.
- "Something to Talk About (1995)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 15, 2018.
- Something to Talk About on IMDb
- Something to Talk About at the TCM Movie Database
- Something to Talk About at AllMovie
- Something to Talk About at Box Office Mojo
- Something to Talk About at Rotten Tomatoes
|This article about a 1990s comedy-drama film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 1990s romantic comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|