|"Somebody Else's Life"|
|Song by the Saturdays|
|from the album Living for the Weekend|
"Somebody Else's Life" is a song recorded by British-Irish girl group the Saturdays for their fourth studio album (fifth overall), Living for the Weekend (2013). The song was written by band members Una Healy, Frankie Bridge, Rochelle Humes, Vanessa White and Mollie King as well as Lucie Silvas, Judie Tzuke and Charlie Holmes co-writing the song with the band members. The songs genre is mainly pop, although the song contains a hint dance. When creating the song, the band wanted to create something "amazing", "crazy" and "very pop". The song was chosen to be the opening theme for the band's reality television show Chasing the Saturdays.
Background and recording
"Somebody Else's life was the first song recorded when the band arrived in the United States to record their fourth studio album, Living for the Weekend. The band said they were looking to go back to their "roots" with the song and record a song which related to their first studio album, Chasing Lights (2009). They were looking to great a song that was "amazing", "crazy" and "very pop" like they were known for back in their native, the United Kingdom. In late October 2012, it was revealed to the public that the Saturdays were in talks to feature in their own reality television programme. Although, they had already done this previously with The Saturdays: 24/7 broadcast through ITV2. It was later revealed that American television network, E! were interested in showing their show programme. It was announced that they did sign a contract with the network and Chasing the Saturdays would be broadcast through E! internationally. It was later revealed that the band had signed a joint record deal with Island Def Jam Records and Mercury Records, with a view to releasing future material internationally mainly the United States and Canada. While the band were filming their reality television in United States the band began working on new music and collaborating with a number of producers. Rodney Jerkins, who is known as "Darkchild" was revealed to be included in the band's fourth studio album. "Somebody Else's Life is the opening theme for the band's reality show Chasing the Saturdays.
"Somebody Else's Life" was included on the set list of The Greatest Hits! Live Tour. During their Chasing the Saturdays row, the band performed the song to Island Def Jam and Mercury Records executives, which led to them signing a US record deal.
|Euro Digital Songs (Billboard)||85|
|Scotland (Official Charts Company)||71|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||94|
- BMI | Repertoire Search
- "Rochelle Wiseman talks 30 Days, her dream girl band, and The Saturdays' sixth member". Retrieved 17 May 2012.
- "The Saturdays talk about the type of album they would like to release". Retrieved 17 May 2013.
- Corner, Lewis (22 January 2013). "The Saturdays preview new track 'Somebody Else's Life' - listen". Digital Spy. Retrieved 8 April 2013.
- E! Greenlights Series Following British Pop Group The Saturdays Multichannel News, 29 October 2012
- "The Saturdays talk to the papers about the upcoming show". Primetime.unrealitytv.co.uk. 26 August 2010. Archived from the original on 24 March 2012. Retrieved 14 November 2011.
- "Chasing the Saturdays opening theme charts within top 100 in the UK" Check
|url=value (help). Official Charts Company. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Euro Digital Songs". Billboard. 12 July 2013. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 5 July 2013.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 5 July 2013.