|Long title||An Act to provide for an accelerated program of research, development, and demonstration of solar photovoltaic energy technologies leading to early competitive commercial applicability of such technologies to be carried out by the Department of Energy, with the support of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, the National Bureau of Standards, the General Services Administration, and other Federal agencies.|
|Enacted by||the 95th United States Congress|
|Effective||November 4, 1978|
|Statutes at Large||92 Stat. 2513|
|Titles amended||42 U.S.C.: Public Health and Social Welfare|
|U.S.C. sections created||42 U.S.C. ch. 71, subch. III § 5581 et seq.|
Solar Photovoltaic Energy Research, Development, and Demonstration Act of 1978 is a United States statute authorizing the research and development of photovoltaic systems utilizing solar energy or sunlight as a source for electricity generation. The Act of Congress promotes energy conservation by the displacement of conventional energy systems dependent upon alternative fuel and fossil fuel resources.
Provisions of the Act
Title 42 United States Code Chapter 71 and Subchapter III was compiled as fourteen code of law sections based on U.S. Congressional findings regarding potential benefits of solar power and declaration of a renewable energy policy.
- 42 U.S.C. § 5581 - Congressional findings and declaration of policy
- 42 U.S.C. § 5582 - Definitions
- 42 U.S.C. § 5583 - Establishment and promotion of research, development, and demonstration programs
- 42 U.S.C. § 5584 - Federal assistance application procedures; selection of applicants; agreements; financial assistance; observation and monitoring of photovoltaic systems; reports; projects and activities
- 42 U.S.C. § 5585 - Contracts, grants and arrangements
- 42 U.S.C. § 5586 - Test procedures and performance criteria
- 42 U.S.C. § 5587 - Supervision of research, development, and demonstration programs
- 42 U.S.C. § 5588 - Solar Photovoltaic Energy Advisory Committee
- 42 U.S.C. § 5589 - Promotion and facilitation of practical use of photovoltaic energy
- 42 U.S.C. § 5590 - Submittal to Congressional committees of plan for demonstrating applications of photovoltaic systems and facilitating use in other nations; encouragement of international participation and cooperation; coordination and consistency of plan and international activities with similar activities and programs
- 42 U.S.C. § 5591 - Participation of small business concerns
- 42 U.S.C. § 5592 - Priorities
- 42 U.S.C. § 5593 - Construction with National Energy Conservation Policy Act
- 42 U.S.C. § 5594 - Authorization of appropriations
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Photovoltaics.|
- Energy conservation in the United States
- Growth of photovoltaics
- National Energy Conservation Policy Act
- Renewable energy in the United States
- Solar cell
- Solar power in the United States
- Timeline of solar cells
- Carter, Jimmy E. (November 4, 1978). "Solar Photovoltaic Energy Research, Development, and Demonstration Act of 1978: Statement on Signing H.R. 12874 Into Law - November 4, 1978". Internet Archive. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Service. pp. 1964–1965.
- "Opportunities to Improve Planning for Solar Energy Research and Development" (PDF). U.S. GAO ~ EMD-77-8. U.S. Government Accountability Office. November 30, 1976.
- "The Multiprogram Laboratories: A National Resource for Nonnuclear Energy Research, Development, and Demonstration" (PDF). U.S. GAO ~ EMD-78-62. U.S. Government Accountability Office. May 22, 1978.
- "Department of Energy Expenditures in Connection with Solar Energy Programs" (PDF). U.S. GAO ~ EMD-78-107. U.S. Government Accountability Office. September 7, 1978.
- "Opportunities for Improving Program Planning for Photovoltaic Research and Development" (PDF). U.S. GAO ~ EMD-79-40. U.S. Government Accountability Office. April 19, 1979.